Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stripped truss rod nut - help!

Hi everyone.

I've got big problems. The truss rod nut on the 6-string neck of my cheap Chinese double-neck is totally stripped, but the neck seriously needs less relief. I want to replace the nut, but I can't work out what sort of nut is actually is. The visible part of the nut doesn't rotate at all - the rotating part seems to be inside this. Does anyone know what sort of nut this is, and whether it can be replaced? Even if it can, I've no idea how I'm going to get it off.

Can anyone help?? Thanks.

Re: Stripped truss rod nut - help!

Take it to a tech. They have special tools to remove stripped and broken truss rod screws. Its the safest way to correct it and your guitar will thank you for it anyway. Usually what causes truss rod nuts to strip is using the wrong sized wrench on the nut. Makes sure you know the correct size and buy a few of those wrenches so they are always available to adjust the rod properly.
    "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I've seen this tool in the StewMac catalog:

I should say that I have no experience with this tool, but I thought it might help. I too, would recommend taking it to a tech or luthier.
      If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
      DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Originally posted by lex666 View Post
        I've seen this tool in the StewMac catalog:

I should say that I have no experience with this tool, but I thought it might help. I too, would recommend taking it to a tech or luthier.

It's a good tool and I have seen it in action but for $235.00 he would be better off taking it to a qualified tech. They can usually fix that for under $100.
        "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
        "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

That tool is designed to repair broken or stripped rods, not stripped nuts.

Your truss rod nut is likely a 4mm, if it is the type on an import that is recessed inside the outer housing which you can see. If it's truly stripped you may be in trouble, because these nuts are not easily replaceable without major, major surgery. Try a fresh, 4mm wrench, without a ball end, and see how that fits. If it seems like it doesn't fit easily or is starting to slip, take it in to a good tech and get their opinion.

Comment

Yes, stripped nut != stripped truss rod thread or broken truss rod.

However, the reason for a stripped nut often is that the nut was at the end of the thread and got stripped when trying to turn further, the truss rod having run out of room. In that case replacing the nut doesn't solve the problem.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
              Yes, stripped nut != stripped truss rod thread or broken truss rod.

However, the reason for a stripped nut often is that the nut was at the end of the thread and got stripped when trying to turn further, the truss rod having run out of room. In that case replacing the nut doesn't solve the problem.
              I suspect this is what's happened. The whole guitar only cost £200 and isn't really that great so I don't want to splash out on a professional fix. I really want any sort of cheap solution, and if that doesn't work I'll have to replace the neck (it's bolt-on). Looks like it's a fretboard-off job.

Comment

Working...
              X