New amp - Vox Valvetronix AD15VT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New amp - Vox Valvetronix AD15VT

Been looking at something small for recording & practicing at the house for awhile now and well I found it. The cleans are outrageous with killer Stones tones and flat out badass hard rockin' sounds all for a stupid $180 brand spankin' new. I am shocked at the bottom end I am getting out of an 8" speaker. This thing is killing me, I don't hink I hardly scratched the surface yet.

It is a modeling amp with 11 different amps and about 11 or so different effects. The small tube in the power stage really seems to do the trick because this little amp has way more body to it than the other similar modeling amps I have tried, lots of guts. I couldn't believe the price, ridiculous it could be this cheap.

Looks cool too!
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Re: New amp - Vox Valvetronix AD15VT

well it is still only 15w...
    that said, of all the modeling amps i like the vox stuff best. i tried the little vox next to the little line 6 and the vox was a much better amp imo. glad you like it!

Comment

Ive heard great things about the vox modelling amps, this confirms it. Good to hear you like it, if you get any clips with it let us know im sure others like me would like to know what these things are capable of recording wise.

Congrats
      My Soundclick page.

Comment

yeah, they're good little amps for practice

i dunno if i'd ever gig with one tho

congrats
        Originally posted by gibson175
        metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

The only thing i don't like about them is that they sound like they got a blanket over the speaker. A co-worker of mine fixed that to some degree with a new speaker and a BBE and now it sounds way better.

Comment

Yeah, I always wondered what sort of speakers those Vox amps have. I have a Tonelab, but I run it through a set of nearfield monitors (first through my Powerbook). I would imagine that the ideal would be a set of hi-fi speakers, but I think they have guitar amp speakers. I would imagine that that would color the speakers sims.
            This machine kills fascists

Comment

Only 15w? Damn it's just for recording, it doesn't need to blow the walls down.I've got plenty of horsepower in my other rigs but they need a lot more volume to really sound right and that just isn't so practical. Gigging with a 15w amp with an 8" speaker, hee hee maybe in an old age home

B2D this thing sounds great, I don't know if they've made any model/speaker changes but it definitely doesn't need a different speaker. It is really well voiced IMO, you do need to change the bass settings quite a bit between models heavy bass works great on one but sounds muffled on another but that kind of goes with the characteristics of the amp models I think.

I am going to check out some of the larger ones if this thing holds up.
              My Bands -
              https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
              www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
              www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
              GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Sounds great! I think small modelling amps are ideal for practice and home recording - I love my little Roland Cube. The big stuff isn't too clever when the kids are in bed. KERRRANNNG!!

A friend of mine has one of the bigger Valvetronix combos and gets some great tones with it. The only other cranked modeller I've experienced is a Flextone II combo - I think the Valvetronix has the edge.

Comment

I have the sixty watt Valvtronix 1x12 combo and it can be a bit harsh. The distortion can sound raspy. This may be because it needs to be cranked up a bit more. But I'm using it at home.

You can hear what I'm talking about on the valvtronix site. When the Hendrix lick comes on, listen to how muddy and harsh the chords sound:

Creating legendary amps, iconic guitars, and classic instruments for more than 60 years, Vox Amplifiers are unmistakeably British. Supporting iconic musicians from Queen to the Foo Fighters, Elvis Costello to The Eagles, U2 to Paul McCartney. 60 years of iconic tone.

It's weird because if you click on auditon button (on the top of the page) you can listen to the Jukebox of Valvetronix clips. They all sound sweet. They're not harsh. They sound great. Maybe they were recorded on the stereo AD-120??

Maybe I should just concentrate on those Jukebox type settings and forget the rest? The problem for me with modelling is that I waste time trying to make all the amp models sound good. And I think some of them never will
                  GMP Pawnshop Deluxe - Custom Custom Bridge, 59n

Parker Fly, Ruby Red, 1996 H/H/P

Parker Nitefly SSH

THD Univalve with Avatar Cab

Bad Cat Mini Cat

Vox Valvetronix AD-60 1x12

"Thanks for comin out and...
                  KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

i have the tonelab and i get all kinds of great sounds out of it... seems like vox is cutting prices on these items i wonder if they are going to be discontinuing them
                    '05 Gibson SG Standard
                    '07 Gibson Sg Standard Emg 81/85
                    PRS IRW McCarty
                    '92 Fender MIA Telecaster
                    82 Usa Epiphone Spirit w/ Dirtyfingers

Comment

I'm considering getting one of those. How do you use it? In front of an amp or for direct recording?

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

I have the AD30VT, the 30 watt version. Loves it. You use the "Headphone/Line Out" on the back mkf311
                        :: Samick Ultramatic UM4 (PRS Custom 22 Copy) :: 2x Seymour "Duncan Designed" HH-4 :: D'Addario XL .09-.42 :: 1981 Sunburst Epiphone Sheraton VSB :: 2002 Martin Guitars Custom Shop 000-28 :: Vox AD30VT Valvetronix Combo ::

Comment

Yes, I use the line out for direct recording. I run it into a Behringer DI box that has 4x12 cabinet emulation, then to the mixer and then to my cassette deck. Old school, but it works. I really can't tell if the cabinet emulation helps or not. I'm still experimenting. Overall I've got a few good tones, but sometimes it's a bit harsh. I don't have much experience recording, though. It's hit and miss because there's no way to monitor.

Parker Nitefly SSH

Bad Cat Mini Cat

KEEPIN THE SCENE ALIVE"

Comment

I think I paid $420 out the door for my AD60 head at Sam Ash. I got the head version, so I could use it as a Tonelab and easily carry it with me, but also because I wanted the option of using better cabs.

I'll be honest, I play far more hours on my Vox modeler than I do on my tube amps, but only because I practice more than I rehearse or gig, this past few months.
                            My home practice rig looks like it was made for Madison Square Gardens, but is fully practical.
                            Vox head on top of Matchless Chieftain 2-12 with foam spacers between them.
                            Vox head powers Bogner 2-12 cabinet or Jubilee 4-12. Thats the gain amp setup
                            Sounds loud, but with the head knocked down to 6 or 15 watts, it's bedroom level.
                            When I want clean, I forget about the modeler and plug straight into the Chieftain.
                            Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                            I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Wattage, are you able to plug the little combo's speaker output into a 2-12 or 4-12?
                              You should fix it so you can do that, because you can have the sound of roaring Marshalls at superlow levels.
                              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                              X