tell me about explorers.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• tell me about explorers.

i have never played one really. but have always liked them. for some reason every time i have tried to play one it either had broke strings or had no sound when plugged in. they are not big sellers here the guitar center close to me has had the same 5 for 6 months that i know of. so for anyone who has tried one what are your thoughts? why styles of music are they good for? and how do they sound compared to a les paul? how are the necks?

Re: tell me about explorers.

First thing you'll notice about an Explorer is how is sits when strapped on. Not in the seated position so much, but once you stand up, where the bridge is in relation to your bellybutton, which means your picking hand/arm will be in a different spot (unless you sling it low like Hetfield).

The high rear bout gets in the way of your elbow, and the location of the rear strap pin causes the guitar to sit towards the left a bit more than say a Strat or LP. This puts the tailpiece where the bridge normally is.

As for the necks, it really depends. I once played one that had a really thin neck compared to the LP copy I had. The 83 Explorer I had a few years back had been stripped and refinished so I'm not sure of the neck profile had been changed, but it wasn't as thick as my 93 Les Paul Standard, but not as thin as the Ibenhad EX350 I had at the time.
    Not sure of Gibson went through a different neck profile phase on those like they did for the LP and SG.

They're good for whatever you want to play. The guy in 38 Special used one, as did Styx, and Metallica, Testament, and a host of other Metal bands in the 80s.
    Mostly they've been used in rock because of the "radical" body style, which was unwelcomed in Country and Jazz.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

IMO its the most inherently comfortable guitar blance-wise there is. I LOVE the way they sit. I also think the current Gibson Explorers have the best blend of neck size and shape between "speed" and stability/sound. They need to put that neck profile on more guitars.

Due to the inline headstock they also have a very different feel than a SG, les Paul, or Flying V- they play faster/easier on the high strings and remain nice and tight on the low strings for chugga chugga chording/riffing (prolly why so many metal guys from the 70s through now use them or similar designs-barring the "look"). They are also the most articulate of the Gibsons-they have a very fast attack/quick response- Not "lazy" like a Les Paul- more explosive than a SG

Tonally they are a bit dark with a rosewood board but have a VERY strong low mid-kind of a "whomp" type bloom in the low mids. Extremely thick sounding, def the "biggest" sound of the Gibsons, but clarity remains pretty good. With an Ebony board clarity is even better. They can really sound thick even with a low wind A5 PAF, and next to a Les Paul have the best neck pickup tone of any of the Gibsons, IMO (the V has the best middle position for my tastes). IME, most A2 pickups, or super overwound ceramics get way too muddy in an Explorer, unless you are usinga really bright amp, or have a maple cap like a Hamer Standard or Dean Z.

A good Explorer will resonate like mad right at the neck/body joint-you will feel it in your stomach hammering out power chords or an open E chord.

I think overall they are my fave Gibson to play- and highly underrated- don't get the love that SGs and Les Pauls do- likely the shape turns most off- good...keeps the prices low.

Another good option is a Firebird Studio if you can find one- similar with less low mids and a bit more high mids- like a big thick SG with more low end and a little less bite.
      I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

+1 on JeffB's response. I have LOVED Explorer bodied guitars since '75. Get a nice Korean made Dean or Hamer Standard to try it out. The build on either of those is real good vs the money spent. PM me if I can help a lil further.

BTW, this thread is useless JeffB, without prime examples.....

1997 Hamer USA Standard

2003 Dean USA Z and a 2005 Dean Korean Z
        Aint no pro but I know what I like....
        Guitar to sound output:
        Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

All other things equal, they're similar to an SG but less twangy, and similar to a Flying V but more ergonomic. Some models have a maple cap or ebony board, which will significantly change the tone.

Comment

I've got 2 Gibson Explorers. Both of 'em are great players. I tried one at a guitar center at first, and found it instantly comfortable to play. For me, Explorers have a natural balance sits perfectly on a strap when standing - my hands just seem to fall naturallly on the guitar and the guitar is perfectly positioned for me. IMO , its one of the easiest guitars to play. Heavy chords and riffing very easy, but solos are where this guitar shines. Its so easy to play and to reach the lower frets, it seems like hardly any effort is needed.

I loaded both of my explorers with SD Blackouts. The Blackouts IMO have the perfect blend of passive tones and modern overdrive. The explorers are a little bright sounding but I like 'em that way. It sounds great for solos and you can easily roll back the tone for that "scooped" or heavy tone without having to change the eq on your amp.

If I had to find something to complain about, it would be the location of the toggle switch. I don't find it nearly as "insticntive" when compared to LP's or SG's. But I think the comfort, playability and tone more than make up for that.
            If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
            DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Good feedback boys, best I've seen in a while. Interesting guitars. I haven't warmed up to the shape yet, I guess because nobody in blues plays an Explorer, although the guitar is up to the task.
              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

An explorer (likely an epiphone) is on my list... one of those "eventually" guitars.
                Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
                I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

I've just received an explorer! I need to put it together though, as it's a Warmoth. I've always liked the look of the body, and just sitting it on my knee with the neck on it's a really well balanced instrument. i.e. it balances on my knee without me having to hold it.
                  Ministers and superstars
                  are drinking champagne in their cars
                  6 strings on a 12 guitar
                  all my dreams are made of stars
                  and the rock and roll still burns in me

Comment

I sold my Explorer mainly because it threw the hand positions off. The fretboard is shifted significantly to the left. And resting the right arm in a normal position repositions it wrt the strings.

One thing is for sure: these things do sound substantially different than different shapes. Very hot and driven. Still planning to re-evaluate a Flying V. Once had one and IIRC it had the hands in a more normal position.

Comment

I had an explorer for a week. I loved it but the nut was cut too low on one string so I returned it and ended up getting something else. Anyway, for the week I had it, it played awesome and sounded great. I find them good both standing up and sitting down. It was lighter than my les paul, I'd say a bit brighter, and more midrangey. How to tell if that is the pickups or the guitar though. THe neck on it was beautiful. To me it feels a bit wider than a les paul but I'm sure the radius isn't any different. Either way it was super fast. I know what other people are talking about where it throws your normal hand positions off a bit. I'm pretty flexible with stuff like that but if playing different guitars bother you, I'd stay away.

Comment

Gotta love that big ol' hunk of Wood resonating the strings of choice!

This is an '05 or '06 Dean Korean made '79 Series Z. Great bang for the bucks. This cost me $400 with HS case in '06. Asian Mahogany body/neck, Maple veneer on the body, and matching headstock. The P90 Z pictured before is based on the '79 Series Z also. I loved the shape of Explorers long before I could appreciate the tonal differances with it and LP or Strat shapes. As I mentioned Explorer fan since '75 and have owned one since December '82 when I got my first Hamer Standard, a '79. LOVE the ergonomics first and foremost. For me, the key to holding it, is to shift the guitar to the right hip a lil and hold it at about a 45 degree angle in front of me at waist hiegth. My wrist fits right in the groove of the guitar and rests right nicely on the bridge for palm muting easily. Forearm rests ever so slightly on the upper bout continuing to remind me of the '57 Chevys that haunt my Hot Rod Heart.

I have to go with the "Explorer", "V", and then "LP" as my top three shapes.
                        Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                        Guitar to sound output:
                        Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

thanks for info guys. i went and tried a few out today. i was going to trade in my les paul toward one and some cash or pedals. the place i got it from were going to hook me up since i do a lot business with them. but the owner was there today and he would not let them. so i just left but at least now i know i like them so maybe i can find some one with one to trade.

Comment

LOVE my Explorer!! Until I got my WM526, my "mistress" was the guitar I always tend to favor. Love the look. only thing that keeps it from my top spot is the weight on my bad back and I worry too much about chipping the points.. Crazy huh?
                            The neck is nice and fast, it hangs well and sits well on the knee. My arm sits in the notch on top just right since I dont play low... The neck is a tiny bit of reach, but easily adaptable. The sound is big and full and sings.. I LOVE the way that big plank vibrates when I play it.. The stock pups were a bit much when I got her, cuz I really sucked then and the hot 500t amplied my blunders..
                            I currently run a 59b in the neck and Custom8 in the bridge.. Id love to have another to run blackouts in..

my Pair I used to have was the explorer and an Edwards Sykes..

My Mistress:
                            Last edited by BloodRose; 03-30-2010, 07:24 PM.
                            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Explorers are good only if you have the matching V to go with it- lol
                              " Rock and Roll IS a contact sport!"

Comment

Working...
                              X