why the sharp g?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• why the sharp g?

Please explain the physics of this. On my guitar the g string will often settle in a sharp postition after some whammy action. I understand how things can go out of tune when doing this. things like strings getting bound in the nut or saddle and what not. But I would think if I use the whammy,[it's a les trem] to flatten a note, not sharpen, and the string returns to a position that is not exactly where it was before, it could only be flat. Can you make sense of this situation that I find so perplexing? And oh yeah. The tuning machines are the locking type so there are no issues that could arise with how strings are wound around a peg.

Re: why the sharp g?

kink at nut
    slack causes kink to bounce towards tuners
    slack gone kink cannot slide back

change the G string
    ya got crap on it
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

sounds like you've got nut problems. try some pencil lead or one of the few nut lubes.
      Beer me!
      Originally posted by Kam
      ...This machine runs on pr0n.

Comment

Pencil, nut.

Too low string trees also cause this but since you have lockin' tunas that's probably no tit.

Comment

Yes, the nut.

As to your thinking that it should return to flat when returned from a drop of the tremolo, it should actually work the opposite (as you have observed it indeed does). Think of it this way. You dive with the trem, the G slides over the nut toward the tuner. Now imagine the extreme situation, where you were to lock the string in the nut in that dropped position. When returned, the string between the nut and tuner would remain slacked, while the now shorter length of string from the nut to the bridge would have to be stretched to a greater degree to return to it's original speaking length, thus resulting in higher tension, and a sharper string.

Of course you're not locking the string down in the dive position, but just a bit of friction can prevent it from returning 100% to it's original equilibrium. Dive, return, nut sticks, string will end up sharp. Make sense?

Comment

thanx for insights

I had never before considered the possibility of slack happening between nut and tuning machine. But that makes good sense. I reckon one who pulls upward on the whammy bar could have the same problem between bridge and tailpiece if they are seperatee as they are in my case. The thing about the kink at the nut is something I will check for too as this would cause this problem as well. I guess it still comes down to ensuring the string can pass through smoothly without getting caught up due to kinks, crap, stickyness, pinching or anything.

Comment

i would also volunteer to say that a Les Trem isn't known for being a lot more accurate than say an old Fender tremolo or a Bigsby. Too much whammy use will knock any of those vintage-style systems outta whack.
              green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

You wouldn't want a flat g string. That would make you the human equivalent of a Ken doll.

Comment

Working...
                X