squier production teles made from ....PINE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• squier production teles made from ....PINE

just opened up the april g.c. mail and store catalog,has eric clapton on the cover.on page 8 ,bottom right..see that white tele?and i quote......the squier classic vibe tele made from pine..just like the fender originals......pine?i wonder what that sounds like...oh the guitar costs 349.00 dollars.i know that woods like spruce are used for accoustics,but i never heard of pine being used at all ,for anything guitar.
    play louder than the other guy.....

Re: squier production teles made from ....PINE

ive played the classic vibe telecaster yesterday,
    the guitar sounds thin IMO

people have different taste
    so yeah
    "Greetings from Malaysia !"
    http://www.youtube.com/aneyekay1
    My Gear:
    ESP LTD Ec-50 w/ Seymour Duncan JB/Jazz
    Ibanez RGR321EX w/ Tesla VR-Extreme
    Custom Squier strat
    Roland MicroCube
    Kustom KLA20r
    Joyo Crunch Distortion

Comment

The CV has been out for a long time now, most of us already know it's pine.

I own one and it's a fine sounding guitar, definitely worth every penny. Not something I'd feel too bad about getting knocked around either. The stock pickups sound decent enough, but this guitar is the farthest thing from a "thin" sounding tele as you can get.

Some footage from last nights gig, a very loose jam track, GAMMY BLUE. An exploration of sorts.... I am using a WEST FILLMORE amplifier, a very rare amp head...

If you think the tele in the above clip is thin--maybe you better stay away from teles.
      For people feeling the need to try something experimental.
      http://myspace.com/kchoq

Comment

My concern is that pine is a soft wood... how does that work for the longevity of a guitar?
        Originally posted by Jessie's ghost
        I like having the stop bar all the way down. Sue me. I've got like six dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by eschoendorff View Post
          My concern is that pine is a soft wood... how does that work for the longevity of a guitar?
          The finish on the body itself is surprisingly good. I feel that if taken care for and not thrown around excessively, the guitar should last a good while.

Should it happen to NOT stand up to your (or anyone else's) playing, I think the guitar is inexpensive enough for a quick replacement.

Comment

it's something they did for this model because the original Tele prototypes were pine.

i barely notice a difference in sound.

As for longevity? Most Fenders are finished in about a half an inch of polyurethane. They will survive the nuclear holocaust with cockroaches and twinkies.
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by serizawa View Post
              The CV has been out for a long time now, most of us already know it's pine.

I own one and it's a fine sounding guitar, definitely worth every penny. Not something I'd feel too bad about getting knocked around either. The stock pickups sound decent enough, but this guitar is the farthest thing from a "thin" sounding tele as you can get.

Some footage from last nights gig, a very loose jam track, GAMMY BLUE. An exploration of sorts.... I am using a WEST FILLMORE amplifier, a very rare amp head...

If you think the tele in the above clip is thin--maybe you better stay away from teles.
              Good tone, good Robin Trower stuff... the Tele sounds great...
              "This is my hat now, this is totally my hat..."

Comment

I've tried out one of those classic vibe Teles and for the money, they're just as good as the MIM Standards that Fender has out right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeffo46 View Post
                  I've tried out one of those classic vibe Teles and for the money, they're just as good as the MIM Standards that Fender has out right now.
                  Honestly--a lot of players would say they're better! They get a lot of unjustified flak on other guitar forums, but they're essentially worshiped on TDPRI.

--

Compared to the finish on MOST MIM guitars, though, I feel as though this one is a tad thinner. That could be because the finish is see-through, but I doubt it. This guitar just resonates.

I also have the Classic Vibe Thinline which is a guitar that I WOULD classify as being bright, but apparently that's inherent of the wood/pot/pickup selection being much different than the CV.

I plan on changing out the bridge with one that has brass saddles and putting in some GFS pups.

Comment

i wasnt knocking the guitar,i was intrigued,i have never heard of pine guitars and i have never SEEN them talked about here.that doesnt mean they havnt been.
                    play louder than the other guy.....

Comment

Probably because that guitar came out...something like two years ago, I think. Not really sure, but I know it's not really a new model, though. The new ones they just came out with..A 60s Custom and Thinline are the newest models. Made out of alder and mahogany, respectively.

That, and I don't think there's much tele love on here. There are a handful of players, but not too many.

Comment

Even though Pine's never been considered as tonewood in electric guitars (mostly due to tradition than to sound properties), in high volume guitar production, availability of raw materials is the #1 priority, so Pine is a very wise choice, as it grows all over the world.

In acoustic guitars and other ethnic instruments it's been used for centuries.

Properly dried, it sounds very close to swamp ash when used for the body, but traditionally it's been used mostly for tops.

I LOVE the smell of resin when cut. Reminds me of my infancy and my late uncle who was a small time luthier.
                        Last edited by LtKojak; 04-17-2010, 12:17 PM.

Comment

Leo's first snake-head prototype comprised of a pine body and a maple neck. This eventually evolved into the single and double Esquire (one and two pups respectively) which was produced from the start until October 1950. Similar specs to the prototype - pine body, maple neck without a truss rod, steel bridge saddles. It was replaced by the Broadcaster in Oct 1950, the specs of which are well known. The Esquire henceforth became solely a single pickup instrument. So, these 1950 Esquires are extremely rare. The CV Squiers are no doubt a nod to these guitars.

So, prototype 1 on the left; prototype 2; double Esquire.
                          Originally posted by dominus
                          Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

There were copies of the first model floating around a few years back, but never seen the pic of the middle variant---that control plate is more like what you would see on a steel.

Comment

That middle one is badass, that neck looks delicious. Yeah, I put Explorer's above any other guitar but I would buy a Tele in a minute if I find the ONE that makes me
                              Ladies, as long as I have a face, you will have a place to sit

2001 Gibson Les Paul Standard
                              2010 Gibson Explorer '76 RI

Comment

Working...
                              X