Fender Jim Adkins JA-90 Telecaster

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fender Jim Adkins JA-90 Telecaster

The other guitarist in my band is saving up for this guitar. Out of curiosity, I decided to ask what you guys thought about it.

Fender Jim Adkins JA-90 Telecaster Electric Guitar

$750 USD

Features:

* Body: Semi-hollow ash
    * Finish: Polyurethane
    * Neck: Mahogany, set neck

Fingerboard: Rosewood, 12" radius (305 mm)
    No. of Frets: 22 medium jumbo
    Tuning Keys: FenderŽ cast/sealed
    Pickups: Seymour DuncanŽ Custom Soapbar SP90-3 & Vintage Soapbar SP90-1

Does not come with any case, or gig bag.
    ================================================== ======
    In your opinion, winner or loser?
    An obvious choice!
    61.29%
    It's not amazing, but it will do.
    16.13%
    I guess it's alright...
    16.13%
    Don't let him get this!
    6.45%
    Last edited by astrozombie; 04-16-2010, 03:58 PM.

Re: Fender Jim Adkins JA-90 Telecaster

Awesome. No other words. I've been gasing for one for the longest time.

You've GOT to get us (me) some pics, bro!
    For people feeling the need to try something experimental.
    http://myspace.com/kchoq

Comment

Originally posted by serizawa View Post
      Awesome. No other words. I've been gasing for one for the longest time.

You've GOT to get us (me) some pics, bro!
      I think you misunderstood man, this is a thread looking for opinions on this guitar. You are a Fender fan, and that's cool. I appreciate the enthusiasm.

Comment

They're cool. Not my first choice for a P90 guitar but yeah they're great.
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
          They're cool. Not my first choice for a P90 guitar but yeah they're great.
          Have you seen this at your shop Xander?

PS- In a few months, I'm buying a guitar from you. Don't quit your job yet!

Comment

Oh, well you said your other guitar player's getting one--that's the source of my misplaced enthusiasm.
            For people feeling the need to try something experimental.
            http://myspace.com/kchoq

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
              Have you seen this at your shop Xander?

PS- In a few months, I'm buying a guitar from you. Don't quit your job yet!
              I saw one at my shop; a customer of mine ordered one. It's a Korean Fender -- interesting -- but the fit and finish is top notch. The F hole is a little deceptive. It's not like most thinline teles where the guitar is like 40% hollow and the top covers everything. It's mostly solid and the hole extends just a little beyond where the F-hole is routed. Probably works better for distortion that way...

Personally i like the tone and feel of Les Pauls and SG's more than Fenders when we're talking P90's and rock-n-roll tones. For a little more you can get an American-made Les Paul Jr. or a used Special or something and have a better guitar all around -- plus you won't have to hang your head in shame when people ask you whose signature that is on the headstock and you have to say "The guy from Jimmy Eat World"

And yeah man, just let me know what you need and I'll work out the best deal possible. That's all i do all day every day so you know i'll do it extra for a bro I'll do what i can for your friend on his JA-90 too

Comment

Looks very similar to my Fender TC-90 which has been discontinued. I am very happy with it. Those SD P90s are sweet.

Comment

I like it in the red finish better.

They have one of these at the local shop and I was considering taking it off their hands. The clean tone is incredible, big, musical and warm. But the deal breaker was the distorted tone. Its not tight, snappy or bright enough for what I need.

Interesting guitar though. Set mahogany neck and ash body. It plays great and would be the perfect sound for many people.

Comment

I like it, especially the finish.

I like 3 knobs with this type set up, V/ T/ T, like Hamer, but 4 knobs give you a lot of range in the middle position.
                    "music heals"
                    facebook

Comment

I keep coming back to this thread to admire the guitar

Would look good next to your Jaguar Special HH since they're both Fenders that borrow heavily from Gibson's features...all the way down to the tune-o-matic and in the Tele's case, even the knobs and switches and pickups are all Les Paul...

Maybe you should get an SG or a Flying V with Strat single coils just to keep everybody on their toes.

Comment

I don't think I'd put down $750 for it without a case or bag...I'd try to get the guitar down to $650 and buy a $50 case with it.
                        - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                        Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                        The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

I love those P90 Tele's! I've never seen one in black. I recall seeing one hanging at Mars when they were in business over 10 years ago. A made-in-USA one, in that classic red over mahogany finish, like you see on SG's. That's the only thing that would make that one better.
                          Of course since you don't see these often in black, the rarity gives it its own appeal.
                          "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
                          Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
                          guitar pic site
                          Original prog rock on soundcloud
                          Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
                          Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

Originally posted by guitfiddle View Post
                            I don't think I'd put down $750 for it without a case or bag...I'd try to get the guitar down to $650 and buy a $50 case with it.
                            thats what pisses me the **** off. he can get a deluxe fender gig for 35 on ebay though, so its not so bad.

Comment

Originally posted by Rowan View Post
                              I like it in the red finish better.
                              He owns a red guitar. I commented that i'd get it in black, simply because he already owns a guitar in red. He said he had thought of that himself.

Comment

Working...
                              X