Gibby Neck Joint Issues...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gibby Neck Joint Issues...

Should I be worried? I just bought a '96 Gibson Blueshawk off of Ebay. The low E frets out at the 12th and the A and D are pretty buzzy there too. I took it to my guitar tech and he said that the three woods that meet at the neck joint (mahogany neck, poplar back, and maple top) are contracting at different rates. He said it wasn't that big of a deal and a $30 fret level should take care of the problem (on top of a $45 setup). I raised the action some more and that significantly reduced the buzzing, no fretting out, but I like really low action. Should I be worried about the futre of this guitar? Should I dump it? I really like it, but to spend another $75 on top of the $500 I paid for it right off the bat makes me think twice. This is the first set-neck guitar I have ever owned so I don't know what to think, is this normal? Will It need a new neck in 10 years?
    Last edited by big_black; 10-24-2004, 10:51 AM.

Re: Gibby Neck Joint Issues...

...any advice...Beuller?

Comment

?

Comment

I think it's probably settled, for the most part, but it does concern me to come across a guitar that's got a neck issue. To be quite honest, I recently dumped a G&L ASAT Z-3 Tele that just couldn't get right, no matter how much I tweaked the setup.
        I knew that an extensive fret leveling job might make it play better, but I just decided to cut my losses and get rid of it. I don't wanna bum you out, but that may be your best option. You can get what you paid for it, then turn that into another guitar, and start fresh.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Getting a fret level done on an 8 year old guitar doesn't seem like much of an issue to me. Woods settle in over time, playing wear over 8 years and maybe some neglect if the board wasn't ever cleaned or oiled.

$500 is a real good price for a nice American guitar a $75 setup is a good investment IMO.
          My Bands -
          https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
          www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
          www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
          GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.

Comment

Working...
            X