Yngwie Malmsteen guys, i need help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yngwie Malmsteen guys, i need help

I have a stratocaster with hs-3 and yjm pickup and i can almost nail that malmsteen tone but i have some idea. I don't have a dod 250 overdrive or tube screamer or some similar good overdrive pedal that is a must to get yngwie tone so......what do you think, would a EMG-PA2 preamp mount on the guitar do that work, or maybe EMG Afterburner? If it would do the job on how much dB would you set the control. I think that would be better than pedal because it will not "color" sound and you don't need to use a pedal, just straight into the amp. What do you think?

Re: Yngwie Malmsteen guys, i need help

Originally posted by Jovan
    I have a stratocaster with hs-3 and yjm pickup and i can almost nail that malmsteen tone but i have some idea. I don't have a dod 250 overdrive or tube screamer or some similar good overdrive pedal that is a must to get yngwie tone so......what do you think, would a EMG-PA2 preamp mount on the guitar do that work, or maybe EMG Afterburner? If it would do the job on how much dB would you set the control. I think that would be better than pedal because it will not "color" sound and you don't need to use a pedal, just straight into the amp. What do you think?
    since you have the guitar/pups i say get the marshall and the DOD pedal to get his tone to a tee.

Comment

If you want to have Yngwie's exact tone, you need to have his exact equipment.
      You will need a Marshall Plexi and a DOD Overdrive (The YJM will suffice, I think).
      Nothing else will do the job!!
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Fisrt thanks for your replys. Second, i am aware that i need a good marshall amp and dod overdrive but nobody in my country doesn't sell dod overdrive so i must find alternative. I don't need pure yngwie tone but to be close, so would this (or other boosters and controles) do the trick?

Comment

NO, an onboard mid boost isn't anything like an OD pedal, which is an additional gain stage. Generally, the parts quality isn't anywhere as good, either, as an OD pedal and I have found them to sound muddy and don't like 'em.
          If I may ask -- what country are you in, and what is available to you??
          Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
          My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Also, I've heard Yngwie sound like Yngwie on a Crate practice amp. Much of his tone is in his right hand.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I would not recommend any kidn of onboard electronics. I've seen him live and i have to say that a substantila portion of his tone comes from his hands and the drive comes mainly from his 10 50-W Plexis thru 10 vintage marshall cabs that are cranked up near maximum.

The DOD serves to boost up the pickups just a little louder because on their own the HS3's and YJM are actually very quiet and not really loud and agressive like you would think.

Try hunting ebay for a DOD 250 or maybe even the YJM signature pedal they make. As an alternative I'd try an SD-1 Super Overdrive or an OD-3 overdrive by Boss with the gain set to a conservatove level but the volume set high.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer
                Also, I've heard Yngwie sound like Yngwie on a Crate practice amp. Much of his tone is in his right hand.
                He's right, on the G3 live in Denver DVD, before his set, Yngwie is playing stuff on a little tiny Marshall practice amp and there's no mistaking his sound. The most important thing is having a strat. I've gotten damn close Yngwie tone with a Marshall combo and a stock Fender strat. It's all in the technique, but I've also never gotten an Yngwie sound unless it's from a single coil. You should be pretty well off as it is. I say you buy the YJM overdrive. Ah well. How's this for a kicker. If you go on my website (listed in my signature) I have a lesson with mp3s that I show a long harmonic minor lick from the Yngwie song Blitzkrieg. I think I got decent strat tone. But the crazy thing is that I'm playing on an Ibanez RG370dx with humbuckers and I have a pickup simulator on my fx board. Pretty sweet huh? Of course, nothing beats the sound of a true YJM setup, I must say.

~Jim
                Last edited by Jim Zucco; 10-26-2004, 12:13 PM. Reason: typos
                For info about my equipment, recordings, guitar lessons, and other cool stuff, check out www.jimzucco.tk

Comment

Working...
                X