Recessed Floyd Rose bridges?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Recessed Floyd Rose bridges?

My wolfgang (best axe on the planet) has a floyd with a huge block held by springs?
    I dunno wtf thats called.

I set it up so it rests fully against the body for downward use only.
    It KICKS ASS!

Comment

Originally posted by Grandor
      My wolfgang (best axe on the planet) has a floyd with a huge block held by springs?
      I dunno wtf thats called.

I set it up so it rests fully against the body for downward use only.
      It KICKS ASS!
      Funny you should mention the Wolfgang, mine is going to be up for sale soon, it's just not working for me anymore. I'm looking for a Floyd guitar to replace it. I'd like to get a good body, then put a Warmoth neck on it.

Ryan
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I'm the reason we had to sign waivers

Comment

I think the first time I noticed recessed Floyds, it was on Ibanez guitars.
        I'm actually surprised at how many Floyd users block their trems. I can understand the fact that the strings go flat when doing bends like double stops, and also the warble effect. But at least floating Floyds give you the ability to do bends above the normal pitch. Even though it's not a big deal, that's the benefit of dual locking systems.
        Originally posted by Boogie Bill
        I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
          Funny you should mention the Wolfgang, mine is going to be up for sale soon, it's just not working for me anymore. I'm looking for a Floyd guitar to replace it. I'd like to get a good body, then put a Warmoth neck on it.

Ryan
          Why dont u like the wolfie anymore?

Comment

Originally posted by rspst14
            I guess that makes sense, since Eddie was working with Kramer back then, and he preferred his Floyds set for downward use only.

Ryan

Having said that, the Floyds on Kramers of that era are full floating, they just don't have a route behind them and can't be pulled as far back. If you want, you can adjust the spring claw so that it tilts back and rests on the body. I did that for a while out of curiosity. The guitar had a fuller tone, but I was breaking strings (I guess the angle over the saddles was causing that), so I set it back so that it it was floating and parallel to the body.

I suppose I could shim the neck, which would allow me to lower the bridge and have it parallel but not floating, but I like having the ability to pull up.
            This machine kills fascists

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              But at least floating Floyds give you the ability to do bends above the normal pitch. Even though it's not a big deal, that's the benefit of dual locking systems.
              It's not only a benefit, I would go so far as to say that it's the reason for having a floating bridge above that large chasm!!
              Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
              My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey
                Hehe ... you just described my whole playing style!!
                +1
                Originally posted by Scott_F
                On that day, should I ever be so unlucky, I will expect an unholy assault of pure metal mayhem attacking all my senses with a little tiny voice in the background screaming Effing Hails!

Comment

There are a couple things that have been bugging me about the Wolfgang. For one, I find the neck to be too narrow. After playing my Hamer with it's Gibson nut width and scale length, I've determined that 1 5/8 necks are just too narrow for me to play rhythm comfortably. Second, basswood is much too soft. I'm having trouble with screw holes stripping, even with normal use. It's lightweight and it sounds good, but it lacks the durability of alder or mahogany. Third, swapping pickups in and out is a *****, because I have to round off the mounting tabs and drill out the mounting holes. That pretty much destroys the resale value. And most of all, I can't get the action set properly without shimming the neck and the nut. I don't think you should have to do that on a guitar that retails for over $1000. That's why I was asking about recessed Floyds, the action on my Wolfgang is much too high with the Floyd set parallel to the body. No matter how I set the Floyd, the action higher on the neck is too high unless I shim the neck. The problem is that this guitar was designed 100% to Eddie's specs, and it's meant to be played exactly like Eddie plays it. Eddie uses 9-40 gauge strings, so the higher action is necessary to avoid buzzing. But if you want to use 10's or 11's, your going to have to do some major ghetto rigging to make it work.

Ryan

Comment

There are a couple things that have been bugging me about the Wolfgang. For one, I find the neck to be too narrow. After playing my Hamer with it's Gibson nut width and scale length, I've determined that 1 5/8 necks are just too narrow for me to play rhythm comfortably. Second, basswood is much too soft. I'm having trouble with screw holes stripping, even with normal use. It's lightweight and it sounds good, but it lacks the durability of alder or mahogany. Third, swapping pickups in and out is a *****, because I have to round off the mounting tabs and drill out the mounting holes. That pretty much destroys the resale value. And most of all, I can't get the action set properly without shimming the neck and the nut. I don't think you should have to do that on a guitar that retails for over $1000. That's why I was asking about recessed Floyds, the action on my Wolfgang is much too high with the Floyd set parallel to the body. No matter how I set the Floyd, the action higher on the neck is too high unless I shim the neck. The problem is that this guitar was designed 100% to Eddie's specs, and it's meant to be played exactly like Eddie plays it. Eddie uses 9-40 gauge strings, so the higher action is necessary to avoid buzzing. But if you want to use 10's or 11's, your going to have to do some major ghetto rigging to make it work.
                    I have had Basswood guitars for more than 15 years now....they hold up like the rest, and the sound they have while using highgain loud amps is not like anything else!
                    The rest you mention is pretty much normal issues with most guitars expensive or cheap, my Korean wolfgang has a good action and needs no shimming, and every other Peavey Wolfgang I have tried had a pretty low and comfy action, no shimming or any other trick to make them work, and I have been through a few of them as repairman....sounds like your neck has too much relief and basicly needs a good overall setup.
                    As for the played like Edward part????
                    Mine runs 10-46 without any troubles, and the trussrod is very easy to get to...I actually just swapped the 9's for 10' and had no issues what so ever.
                    Anyways the neck is great on a Wolf....how come you even bought it???
                    Sounds like you hate about everything it??
                    Hehe

Comment

I've always done my own setup and repair work, and I've set up other Floyd and standard trem guitars with no problem. But for some reason, I just can't get the Wolfgang set to my liking. I've had it set up by several different techs, just in case there was something they could do, but no one seems to be able to fix it. Maybe I just got a bad one, but the more I play other guitars, the less I like the Wolfgang. I don't hate everything about it, but I find myself playing it much less than I used to.

As for why I bought it, I bought it when I was new to playing guitar, and I didn't really know what to look for in an electric. I figured if it was good enough for Eddie, it was good enough for me. Live and learn I guess.

Ryan

Comment

Working...
                      X