banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the diff. between rosewood and ebony fretboards??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What's the diff. between rosewood and ebony fretboards??

No no no, of course not Empty Pockets!
    We have been spellbound... BY THE DEVIL!!!!!!

Comment

Not as much as you might think. An Ebony board will give you a bit more spank although not as much as a Maple board will. As for low and detuned (I drop a half step all the time and play in open D a lot) the board doesn't really come into the equation tone wise. But if you are drop tuning with heavy strings (.50+) then you can chew up some Rosewood boards while Ebony will be fine. Indian rosewood which is more expensive will be fine while the force grown streaky bacon type of rosewood will chew up more quickly but then this gets into the area of strings cheap loose wound strings will chew up a board quicker than better strings.
      One other thing SRV detuned with heavy strings and always used a rosewood board. No.1 had a veneer board while his others had slab boards.
      "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

Ebony feels harder and smoother playing to me, and it is definitely brighter than rosewood.
        LP_Junkie

http://nerosopeningact.bandcamp.com

Comment

Ebony has more clairty, it's great for jazz
          I Build My own Guitars
          know duncan...know tone
          no duncan...no tone
          Originally posted by Warheart
          First problem right there! letting drummers write lyrics!

Comment

I prefer Ebony but I currently don't have any guitars with Ebony boards.
            IMO Ebony requires a little more care. Oil it regularly. I've had two guitars with Ebony boards that developed cracks in them.
            I've NEVER had that happen with rosewood.

I currently have a Parker Nitefly being sent to me. It has a Carbon/Glass fretboard. I'm curious as to how it compares to Ebony.

Comment

I don't really have a preference in either Rosewood, Ebony or Maple as far as tone in my basses. I don't think it's that noticable aleast to my deaf ears. I like Maple with black block inlay, because I can see the fret markers much easier.
              BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
              Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
              Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
              Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
              Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
              Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
              Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
              Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
              Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
              Gibson EBO

Comment

Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05 View Post
                I don't really have a preference in either Rosewood, Ebony or Maple as far as tone in my basses. I don't think it's that noticable aleast to my deaf ears. I like Maple with black block inlay, because I can see the fret markers much easier.
                I have noticed that I like maple better than rosewood for bass...I have a Cirrus that just makes me smile every time I plug it into the 400+

I have never tried a bass with ebony, but I do prefer ebony and maple for guitars.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Generally speaking, Rosewood to me is warmer with really good harmonic overtones, and Ebony is smoother playing, and has a glassy kind of presence.

Comment

Working...
                  X