PRS Style Rotary Switch on an LP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRS Style Rotary Switch on an LP?

OK, I have been investigating all my options for series/parallel/splits on my LP Studio and I just thought of something...

Would a Rotary Switch fit in the hole that houses the usual 3 way switch on an LP?

I know it sounds kinda silly but it beats sacrificing my tone pots for spin-a-splits and drilling holes in pu rings for toggle switches (I'm beginning to really dislike the idea of long shaft pots!)

Anybody tried it?, got ideas/concerns?
    "What frequency are you getting? Is it noise or sweet, sweet music?"

Re: PRS Style Rotary Switch on an LP?

I'm trying to remember, which is which, but one of them is slightly larger in diameter requiring that you ream out the hole slightly. But, if you are into that sort of thing, go for it. In the other direction, if the hole is bigger than the rotary, you'll need to put a bit of tape or something around the inside of the hole to keep it from moving around. I had a 5-way on a CU24 and despised it.

www.CelticAmplifiers.com

"You can't save everybody, everybody don't wanna be saved."

Comment

Thanks, I'm still not sure as to which way I'm actually gonna do it, just gathering as much info as I can, I don't wanna wire it all up one way, then a month later decide I don't like it and change it all again...

From the schematics it says I'm gonna have to reverse the bridge magnet too, although that isn't too difficult IIRC, just taking off/putting on the cover that will be bother...

Comment

Concern - Have you ever used one of the rotary switches?

They're really fiddly things to work with, and with it being on the top horn of a les paul it'll probably be even harder to change quickly and comfortably.

Why don't you install pull push pots?

I guess you could have one on each volume for a split, and one on each tone for a series/parrallel... though if you had the split option up the series parrallel wouldn't make a difference.

Some of the wiring guys will probably know an easier way though
        My clips

Originally posted by Rid
        How do I block my hardtail?

Comment

Originally posted by nuntius
          Why don't you install pull push pots?
          My LP has long shaft pots, and as far as I know, you can't get long shaft push/pull pots. (If anyone knows if they are available, please let me know where )

I haven't used a rotary switch before either, although I don't often change pickups whilst playing.

Comment

The only long shaft pots available for Les Pauls are spst. They work great for simple splits but you can't wire them for parallel. What I would suggest is to wire the pickups so that the bridge pickup splits to the south coil and the neck pickup splits to the north coil. That way both pickups split and on at the same time will be hum cancelling.

Historic reissue Les Pauls use short shaft pots and are far easier to mod using dpdt push pulls. I modify my control cavities in my production LPs to take short shaft pots but most folks aren't keen about laying a LP on a drill press.
            www.soundclick.com/failedgrace
            www.myspace.com/robert_sherman
            http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=1513342220

T4D got a new gig!

(Please send sig worthy material!)

Comment

Yeah, I gotta admit I'm not too keen on taking chunks outta my favourite guitar, somethings bound to go wrong, the push pull sounds like a good idea, another one to ponder over!!!

Thanks.

Comment

I've got my goldtop setup for splitting the coils. I couldn't figure it out, so I had a pro do it, and was glad I did. It involves removing the plate and all the pots, and using a dremel tool to thin out the top from the inside. Then, everything's got to be reinstalled and the caps are wired in a different way to the new pots.
                After it all, I've found that I don't use the feature as often as I thought, and am not sure I'd do it over again. I do like the neck split, though.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Working...
                X