Floyd Rose and tone

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Floyd Rose and tone

I just bought a Mockingbird ST, and I am thinking about taking out the Ping Floyd Rose and replacing it with and original Floyd Rose made by Schaller. Also, I am considering taking out the Rockfield Mafia pickups that came stock with the guitar and replacing them with SD pickups (Alnico II on the neck, and JB or Duncan Custom on the bridge). However, I have heard that you can not make a big improvement on the sound of guitars with a Floyd Rose system installed on it.

Is there any truth to this?

Re: Floyd Rose and tone

No.

I don't like locking trems, but that's baloney.

New pickups will make an immediate and extremely-noticeable difference in the sound, and a better bridge is very likely to change the feel and response of the guitar as well.

What SD models were you thinking of using?
    -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

My tech has informed me that the type of metal used in the bridge, especially in the trem block can affect the tone of the guitar. If it is junky metal or has come loose it won't transfer the string vibrations to the body wood.

But not sure if you have this problem with your current setup.

Comment

My tech told me if the neck comes off your guitar the strings won't line up along the frets properly.

Let us know if this is your problem.
        -Adam

Hear or Follow my music:

Comment

The Schaller unit is really good and worth looking into. I'd always recommend their bridges. You can make a huge improvement with a good quality Floyd unit.
          "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

Originally posted by alnikman View Post
            I just bought a Mockingbird ST, and I am thinking about taking out the Ping Floyd Rose and replacing it with and original Floyd Rose made by Schaller. Also, I am considering taking out the Rockfield Mafia pickups that came stock with the guitar and replacing them with SD pickups (Alnico II on the neck, and JB or Duncan Custom on the bridge). However, I have heard that you can not make a big improvement on the sound of guitars with a Floyd Rose system installed on it.

Is there any truth to this?
            Look at the block on your current bridge. Is it skinny? Cheap looking? If so get a new bridge. Going from a crap block to a good block can make a big difference for the better. But if it is already a good bridge/block then focus on your pickups.

Comment

Don't forget after market parts for your Floyd, I bought the Brass Big Block from FloydUpgrades and the difference was pretty intense. Plus, the price ain't all that bad and you don't need a tech per se for the installation (although you might want one if you can't perform some basic setup and intonation afterward).
              Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
              I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
              Originally posted by That90'sGuy
              Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

There is nothing wrong with a Ping Floyd. Get a brass block and upgrade the pups.

Scott
                https://www.rockstockpedals.com/

Comment

Brass blocks are not for everyone. They can take away some of the sharpness they are not a cure all but something of a matter of taste. If you've never tried a brass block you need to try before you buy, as it might not be for you.
                  I personally think a Schaller bridge would make a whole lot of difference and save you a whole lot of cash than messing about with aftermarket up grades for a Ping unit.
                  "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

Originally posted by sosomething View Post
                    My tech told me if the neck comes off your guitar the strings won't line up along the frets properly.

Let us know if this is your problem.
                    Funny

Comment

You can also check out floyd upgrades .com and get huge brass tone block for your floyd rose trem. Guitar world recently put out a how to (before/after) video with them.
                      "We live thinking we will never die. We die thinking we had never lived. Cut it out." - Jason Becker

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change" - Heraclitus

sigpicHouse of Jackson, Charvel, ESP, BC Rich, Dean etc.. Fans. Come and Join us!

Comment

The Ping is a decent enough Floyd, I like the Schaller better.....you could change it, but I don't think you will hear much, if any, difference.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

I'd try the Tungsten Floyd block. It's twice as hard and heavy as brass, allowing you to get the tone of a Big Block in the size of a standard Floyd block

Comment

Sosomething:

I am thinking about putting an Alnico II humbucker on the neck and either a JB or Duncan Custom on the bridge.

On the website where I am going to purchase the trem, it asks for the nut width size. On BC's website, it states that it is 43 mm, but on the website where I am purchasing the trem, the closest size they have is in the customary size of 1 11/16" (which is 42.90). Am I correct to assume to buy this size, since it is just a tiny bit smaller? Or, should I get the next size up of 1 3/4", which is 44.45 mm.

Another option on the website is narrow and wide string spacing. Am I correct to think that this is in regards to what gauge strings that I will intend to use? What ballpark gauges would be for the narrow and what gauges for the wide spacing? I am thinking to buy the regular spaced nut, since I will most likely be using 10's or 9's on this guitar.

I know these are elementary questions, but this is the first Floyd Rose guitar I have ever owned, and I want to make sure I get this right.

Comment

Look on the bottom of the nut and it will have the size. 1 11/16 is an R3 or R4 if you have a bound neck. I have built many floyded guitars and never have used the wide spacing. That may be for an R5 1 3/4 nut. The string spacing is just that. It doesn't matter what size strings you use.

Scott
                              https://www.rockstockpedals.com/

Comment

Working...
                              X