Finger Tapping - Required Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Finger Tapping - Required Reading

Do you know of any good books on de market that has a good comprehensive take on Tapping?

I used to just think that I tapped on guitar randomly, but since my tone has come together, I've found that, "Wow. This seems like it's more of a natural thing for me."

I would like to just clean up my tapping and with a basic vocabularly to work with at first. I don't think I'll become a virtuoso at tapping because I'm more of a rythmic player overall, but tapping has seemed to become a slight staple to my playing.

for any info regarding this topic in advance.

Re: Finger Tapping - Required Reading

I do the fingerstyle
    the finger picking books should be similar
    EHD
    Just here surfing Guitar Pron
    RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
    SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
    Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
    Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
    Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
    Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
    GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

sounds dumb, but i just practice different things. there are two tricks, one to find the right notes/scale/whatever. the second is the actual tapping finger, i find its actually really tough to tap slowly, with a good feel, and articulation.

mike

btw not that i'm that great at it or anything, but i did grow up in the 80's...

Comment

I'm more southern rocker bluesy guy so the idea of putting fingers from more than one hand on the fret board scares me. Allthough I used to do a right befor left pulloff lick.

Comment

I don't know that there is a comprehensive book on the subject. I can recommend players in a progressive way:

#1 Start with Randy Rhoads
          #2 Then move to eddie Van Halen
          #3 Move on to Steve Lynch (autograph)
          #4 Then you are ready for Jeff Watson (Night Ranger)
          #5 And from there it's Stanley Jordan time

I will say that I have totally used tapping for some great Blues/Southern rock. I have done the Skynyrd solo in jams using tapping for an awesome effect to spice it up. And if you are using pre-bends/releases and more than one finger on the right hand, you can do some great pentatonic stuff. All about phrasing and note choice.
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post

I will say that I have totally used tapping for some great Blues/Southern rock. I have done the Skynyrd solo in jams using tapping for an awesome effect to spice it up. And if you are using pre-bends/releases and more than one finger on the right hand, you can do some great pentatonic stuff. All about phrasing and note choice.
            i do that too! you don't have to be all neo-classical...

mike

Comment

It's basically just playing a scale on one string (for example) instead of across a 4 fret position.
              Originally posted by gibson175
              metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

I've always thought Reb Beach was an inspiration for tapping,
                especially this clip

Reb Beach tocando Inspiration, un tema con tapping a Full.

Comment

Originally posted by DeanSweden View Post
                  especially this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEavh1Y5pKI
                  Holy f***! But that's the idea. LOL

Comment

The musical genre is irrelevant. Playing melodically requires practicing these things (in no particular order).
                    1. Arpeggios
                    2. Scales
                    3. modes.
                    4. Progressions
                    Right hand tapping lends itself to arpeggiated playing both along the neck and across the neck.
                    Dont worry about a book on tapping. get a book on harmony and work out your own patterns. Use the scales, modes and progressions that most suit the style of music that you enjoy.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

To further the point, it's not so important as to who you are trying to emulate but tapping is just another way to ehance the melody of what you're playing. YOu can base tapping on scales or on arpeggios and just use your picking hand to play the notes.

One tapping example that might be valuable is in the break down section of Satch's Boogie where he uses the tapped note to an open string to a hammer on of two fretted notes. He does this all in sextuplets with lots of flange/chorus which makes it a even cooler technique.

Comment

Originally posted by DeanSweden View Post
                        especially this clip

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VEavh1Y5pKI
                        that was good!

I've never seen anybody tap like this. Taken from Reb Beach's "Cutting Loose" guitar instructional video.And you thought Winger sucked...

he's very macgruber....

mike

Comment

The best "no-pinky" guitarist used his pinky a little in this vid: Cutting it Loose

Rock on!

Comment

Working...
                          X