Slightly Brighter String Brand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Slightly Brighter String Brand

I'm looking for something just a bit brighter than the DAddario EXLs,but I don't want to go steel strings...So basically I'd like to stay nickel wrapped...

What do you guys recommend? This is to brighten up my Tokai(Love Rock) Les Paul with Seth Lovers...Would like this guitar to cut a bit more w/o having to turn the treble up so high on my early Marshall head..
    Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Re: Slightly Brighter String Brand

DR Handmade Hi-Beam these should be just what you are looking for. Once you try DR you can never go back.
    "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

Originally posted by John_L View Post
      DR Handmade Hi-Beam these should be just what you are looking for. Once you try DR you can never go back.
      Thanks...I have used and love the Pure Blues DR strings..
      Amps: 66 Fender BF Pro Reverb Combo,1973 50 Watt Marshall Head,Marshall 4x12 A/V Cab,Vox ToneLab LE,Vox VTH Valvetronix 120 Head,Vox AD 2x12 Cab,Roland Cube 20X

Guitars: Several Stratocasters,2 Fender Telecasters,Gibson SG Standard,Tokai Love Rock Les Paul,Dean Acoustic.

Pickups: SD SSL2,SSL5,Twangbanger,Antiquity Surfers,59N,Seth Lover N/B,Dimarzio Fred,Dimarzio VPAF N,Fender Fat 50s,Fralin SP43 Bridge,Brobucker,Antiquity Texas Hot.

Comment

Originally posted by John_L View Post
        Once you try DR you can never go back.
        I did, and I did.
        Originally posted by Brown Note
        I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
        My Blog

Comment

Hi-Beams are a bit brighter than Pure blues although they feel more like Tite-fit. http://www.drstrings.com/catalog/hi-beam
          "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

Have you considered changing your pots, to a higher value? I struggled with this before, and finally gave in, and disconnected the tone pot.

Comment

John you could try a set of Gibson Brite Wires, they are very high quality/underrated strings.

Even Regular Ernie Ball Slinkys are a bit birighter/snappier than Dad XLs

That said, the Dad EXPs (coated), though expensive are a bit brighter and clearer, and IME last about 3 times as long as a standard set of XLs, so they are actually a much better value. That goes for the Ernie Ball Titaniums as well- significant improvement over the originals.

DR strings-including hi-beams have probably the best feel & great tone, but they have been having some serious issues as of late for QC- to the point where they are putting liner notes in the string packages "don't do this..don't do that..intonation can be a problem" etc etc. I hesitate to reccomend them anymore. The last few sets of Tite Fits & one set of PBs I had were complete junk and would not hold tune or intonate without drastic adjustment on the saddles (several other brand strings, no problems).
              I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

i use dr strings and havent really had any issues

Comment

Originally posted by whatshisname View Post
                  Have you considered changing your pots, to a higher value? I struggled with this before, and finally gave in, and disconnected the tone pot.
                  I have 500k pots and a no load tone pot in place for both the bridge and neck position pickups...Just want a slightly brighter string is all...The DAddarios are great strings,but would like to try something else.I Love the DAddarios for my strats and my Tele guitars.

Comment

i love kerly kues for a brighter string...

Official web site for Kerly Music corporation guitar strings, electric, bass and classical strings.
                    Originally posted by Aceman
                    It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

i like the dr high beams for a brighter sound too. i dont usually need to go there so i used the pure blues, sometimes the titefits, but i used to put the high beams on my tele to give it extra snap since it has a rw board

Comment

I do have some Tite Fits but not the HI Beam DRs...I'll have to try them..I see I also have some GHS Boomers..

Comment

Good ol' GHS Boomers will be bright. I had to switch because they were too bright for me.
                          - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                          Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                          The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Working...
                          X