Warmoth strat body: Chambered vs Solid

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Warmoth strat body: Chambered vs Solid

I've read what they have written on their website about the differences, does anyone have a chambered strat body or a link to where I can physically hear one? How much of a difference does it really make having it routed with the lam top as opposed to a solid-body? Am not sure the extra cost is worth it, for me, but if it's not that much if it's that big of a tonal difference, I guess.
    "If it ain't been in a pawn shop, it can't play the blues" - Frank Edwards

Originally posted by ginormous
    If the body was in like-new condition, then I might consider it. That one looks like it's been used for a snowboard.

Re: Warmoth strat body: Chambered vs Solid

My strat has some weight relief holes. i assume chambered = much less than just a few relief holes. do you know how much it is? i hear les pauls have areas hollowed out now, and ive heard a few new ones and didnt think they sucked, ill tell you that.

id probably go solid myself, but thats just because im sort of old school

Comment

Solid it'll sound better. Chambers make the thing sound hollow and you can't get a woody sound. All this "guitars must weigh 7lbs" stuff is just a fad.
      "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

My Les Paul Studio Silverburst is chambered and it sounds awesome. Just my 0.02 euros worth.

Comment

Originally posted by Mattt
          I disagree, lots of classic tones come from chambered guitars, and if it's a fad then it's the longest running fad i have ever seen.

Brian May's guitar is chambered. He has great tone.

But also, what about all the semi-hollow and hollowbody guitars in music history? Plenty of good tone there too.

A guitar doesn't have to have a solidbody to sound good.
          Yes, if you are buying a thinline then you know what you are getting. I think G&L go about it the right way in that they offer most of their models in solid or thinline, rather than chambering which is half and half. Yes, you can get good tone from a semi or something but it isn't the same as a good solid guitar.
          Bass makers use heavy solid bodies but get over the weight issue by ergonomics.
          "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
            My strat has some weight relief holes. i assume chambered = much less than just a few relief holes. do you know how much it is? i hear les pauls have areas hollowed out now, and ive heard a few new ones and didnt think they sucked, ill tell you that.

Uh ... what Strat has weight relief holes? I've never heard of this. Strat bodies aren't exactly heavy (unless it's a mid-to-late 70's concrete Strat)
            Band: www.colouredanimal.com
            Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
            Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

Originally posted by ratherdashing View Post
              Uh ... what Strat has weight relief holes? I've never heard of this. Strat bodies aren't exactly heavy (unless it's a mid-to-late 70's concrete Strat)
              American Deluxe has weight reduction across the board. A few other models do as well. Apparently the ideal weight for a Fender these fays in under 5lbs.

Comment

Removing any kind of wood from a solid plank Fender bodie gives you more treble, but the smooth/sweet kind of treble. The more the thing is like a solid board the more "driven" the sound is.

Myself I will never again put even humbucker routes into a body that doesn't have them yet.

Comment

solid!

Comment

I have a Warmoth chambered Strat body made of Mahogany with a Koa top. The light weight is nice but it became part of the brightest toned Strat I've ever played. It took a few pickup changes to get it right.

Life Is Good When You Love Your Tone.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post

If you're talking about the DeLonge then hell no that does not have weight relief holes. Are you talking about the guiding holes for the CNC machine?

As for the OP, Strats in a way are already slightly chambered. The chamber for the vibrato. Might wanna take that into consideration unless it's a hardtail.

Comment

i think you'd probably lose a little bit of bass in a chambered guitar. it can't be that bad though, they've been doing it since the 80's .

p.s thats a pretty nice strat Smark. maybe a lil bit on the "woody" side but still pretty nice
                        our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
                        'Cause all the girls are sluts,
                        And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Chambers in a strat - now that's a great idea!
                          I feel sorry for Clapton, Hendrix, Blackmore, Beck, Gilmour, Van Halen, Malmsteen, Murray, Moore, Vaughan, Norum..They were just not that lucky to have warmoth geniuses and the magic holes options for a strat.
                          Just like Page, Clapton, Beck, Green, Moore and Slash missed a lot from LP's without the "holes alchemy"
                          We are so lucky these days!

Comment

Originally posted by John_L View Post
                            American Deluxe has weight reduction across the board. A few other models do as well. Apparently the ideal weight for a Fender these fays in under 5lbs.
                            I don't think this is actually true. I believe they just pick lighter wood for the Deluxes.

Originally posted by tc View Post
                            If you're talking about the DeLonge then hell no that does not have weight relief holes. Are you talking about the guiding holes for the CNC machine?

As for the OP, Strats in a way are already slightly chambered. The chamber for the vibrato. Might wanna take that into consideration unless it's a hardtail.
                            Yeah, those little holes under the pickguard aren't weight relief - they're just something for the CNC router to grab onto.

And you're right ... Strat bodies already have a lot of wood taken out of them. Trem cavity, control cavity, jack plate cavity, pickup routes, forearm cut, and tummy cut make for a lot of wood chopped away compared to something like a Tele or LP.
                            Band: www.colouredanimal.com
                            Twitter: www.twitter.com/mrperki
                            Blorg: mrperki.tumblr.com

Read my Seymour Duncan blog posts

Comment

The chambered Mahogany in the last video sounds real nice.
                              "It was a new day yesterday, but it's and old day now."

Comment

Working...
                              X