School me on Guitar Body finishes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• School me on Guitar Body finishes

Ok, there are various guitar finishes that have different attributes, thus far I know, Poly being the indestructible and least reactive but also the one that seals the wood's tone the most and Tung/Tru Oil being the least intrusive but also least helpful since it can't take any color (Trans or otherwise) and does very little in protecting the wood.

In any case, which finish, in your opinion/knowledge, would lend its' self best for a Trans color, be relatively non-reactive AND keep the wood's tone as intact as Tung/Tru Oil (or as close as possible)?

Also, if that's asking too much, is there a way to finish the front and the back of a one-piece body with no top with different finishes for example nitro for the front and just an oil for the back?

Please offer me your wisdom oh great ones
    Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
    I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
    Originally posted by That90'sGuy
    Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Re: School me on Guitar Body finishes

sounds like you want a stain with a laquer clear?
    Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
    ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Stain or dye, with a lacquer clear.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
      @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Oils will eventually dry out and need to be re-applied. Nitro lacquer is susceptible to checking when exposed to hot/cold temperatures, reacts with some guitar straps and guitar stands (neoprene especially), and seems to wear pretty easily. Polyurethane is a lot more hard wearing, doesn't react with much stuff, but a lot of people complain that it kills some of the sound of your instrument.
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I like necks that have been TruOil'ed, not so big on the bodies. If you want any kind of color, a nitro clear would get my vote. Everyone says that poly muffles the tone a slight bit.
          "If it ain't been in a pawn shop, it can't play the blues" - Frank Edwards

Originally posted by ginormous
          If the body was in like-new condition, then I might consider it. That one looks like it's been used for a snowboard.

Comment

try a sprayed shelac under coat, then shelac color coat, then a nitro top coat
            I Build My own Guitars
            know duncan...know tone
            no duncan...no tone
            Originally posted by Warheart
            First problem right there! letting drummers write lyrics!

Comment

But what about mixing and matching, well specifically a painted top and a clear back. Can it be done with a one-piece body or will I have to use binding to hide the paint on the front?
              I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
              Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

It can be done, you're just looking at a good amount of work.. you'd dye/stain the top, but tape off the sides/back wherever you want the line to be. You may need to sand along the line to get it perfect.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                  It can be done, you're just looking at a good amount of work.. you'd dye/stain the top, but tape off the sides/back wherever you want the line to be. You may need to sand along the line to get it perfect.
                  Exactly. I've done this, and even with taping it off, you'll get stain that seeps through. You'll need to sand the edges to get rid of stain where you don't want it.

Comment

There is no "tung/tru oil". Tun oil and try oil are entirely different concepts.

Comment

But won't the dye/stain sip into the wood, making sanding an ineffective method for removing that line?

Comment

Working...
                      X