Ash or Alder body wood?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ash or Alder body wood?

I am not buying anything new as far as guitar, but I would like to know the pros and cons of ash and alder. As far as hard rock/metal tones. Bottom line is Ash body worth the extra cash. I know tone is subjective. I personally love alder body guitars. Have at least 3, but I am curious about swamp ash body guitars.
    Last edited by PearlyHellhound; 07-11-2010, 08:24 PM.

Re: Ash or Alder body wood?

have you checked the warmoth site? loads of info on body woods here
    our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
    'Cause all the girls are sluts,
    And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Best thing to do would be to joining the Telecaster forum TDPRI, and ask this question there. They love discussing this.
      "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Ash is sharper and promotes the high harmonics, Alder is darker and promoted mid harmonics. However wood is a natural product and some bits of ash sound more like alder and vice versa.
        "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

warmoth site, but it's a preference thing for the most part.
          BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
          Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
          Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
          Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
          Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
          Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
          Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
          Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
          Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
          Gibson EBO

Comment

yeah

just like almost every other vague comparison thread you've started

not only is the information available already if you search for it, but it largely comes down to opinion and personal preference, so even if you do what most people on the forum tell you to do, your opinion could be completely different.

you really need to go to some guitar shops and play lots of different guitars and figure out what you like

there's no such thing as "good, better, best" or "worst" in the guitar world. They're tools we use to make art. There are no good, better, or best paint brushes but there are artists who use more fine-tipped brushes than broad-tipped and vice versa. That's why when i buy a new guitar or new gear I try to make sure it fills a void in my current line-up.

For example, I know that I like maple-neck, alder-body Strats. I know there are different tones between hardtail and trem-equipped Strats so i have one of each. The one with trem has single coils, the hardtail has humbuckers. I recently had a chance to purchase my friend's Telecaster, which I only did because it has an ash body and Duncan Tele pickups -- similar to my other guitars but very different in lots of ways, with its own unique character, so it has a place here.

Anyway enough of that rant -- from what I've noticed, ash seems to add just a bit of twang and sizzle that isn't as prevalent on alder. Alder has a bit more complexity in the midrange though. I think for modern tone and chug-chug riffs I prefer my hardtail alder strat...but i much prefer my Les Paul or SG.

I'm totally crazy about the gnarly sizzly twang my new Tele spits out tho. It's not as growly on the power chords but leads jump out of that bridge pickup....

...and that's kind of why you can't just start threads like "Which one is the best." Cuz they're most of them are damn good, and it comes down to the player instead of the guitar anyway.
            Last edited by Empty Pockets; 07-12-2010, 07:40 AM. Reason: accuracy
            green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Pretty much everything said here is spot on.
              Just wanted to add that a pickup can make or break a guitar wood-wise.

For instance, a JB is too flabby for many in an Alder Strat (wouldn't know personally, I have it in a Mahogany with a Maple top one and it rips) whereas in an Ash body it would probably tighten up considerably.

On the other hand, a trebly pickup would rather go in an Alder or even mahogany body instead of an Ash one.

One last tidbit of info, I personally believe that an Ash body is a natural for an All-maple neck. A rosewood fingerboard, in my experience, adds too much sizzle. And I should know, I have one...
              Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
              I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
              Originally posted by That90'sGuy
              Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
                yeah

just like almost every other vague comparison thread you've started

not only is the information available already if you search for it, but it largely comes down to opinion and personal preference, so even if you do what most people on the forum tell you to do, your opinion could be completely different.

you really need to go to some guitar shops and play lots of different guitars and figure out what you like

there's no such thing as "good, better, best" or "worst" in the guitar world. They're tools we use to make art. There are no good, better, or best paint brushes but there are artists who use more fine-tipped brushes than broad-tipped and vice versa. That's why when i buy a new guitar or new gear I try to make sure it fills a void in my current line-up.

For example, I know that I like maple-neck, alder-body Strats. I know there are different tones between hardtail and trem-equipped Strats so i have one of each. The one with trem has single coils, the hardtail has humbuckers. I recently had a chance to purchase my friend's Telecaster, which I only did because it has an ash body and Duncan Tele pickups -- similar to my other guitars but very different in lots of ways, with its own unique character, so it has a place here.

Anyway enough of that rant -- from what I've noticed, ash seems to add just a bit of twang and sizzle that isn't as prevalent on alder. Alder has a bit more complexity in the midrange though. I think for modern tone and chug-chug riffs I prefer my hardtail alder strat...but i much prefer my Les Paul or SG.

I'm totally crazy about the gnarly sizzly twang my new Tele spits out tho. It's not as growly on the power chords but leads jump out of that bridge pickup....

...and that's kind of why you can't just start threads like "Which one is the best." Cuz they're most of them are damn good, and it comes down to the player instead of the guitar anyway.
                Annoying. But very true. I rather get info I want and need from people who have alot of experience. I prefer alder body/maple neck, I have 3 strats and love them with high gain amps. But I get curious.

Comment

About the best comparison on these woods as you could ever dream of
                  Ibanez Roadstar II
                  EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
                  VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

There is too much variance, in particular in Ash, to answer this question.

Comment

^ that too. you can find an unusually bright and twangy piece of alder and an unusually dark and boomy piece of ash.

don't stress the details so much, is what i'm getting at.
                      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by MetalManiac View Post
                        Best thing to do would be to joining the Telecaster forum TDPRI, and ask this question there. They love discussing this.

I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Alrighty. Thank you for your answers.

Comment

Working...
                          X