Angus tone question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Angus tone question

I've been curious to what kind of amps angus used in the high voltage era, I'm talking in the studio, not live. I read that he used jtm45s with kt66s in the studio and 100w plexis live. I always loved his tone in the early bon scott days, it was so woody, smooth and singing but technically it was actually much cleaner than it seems. Closest thing I've heard to it is joe perry but not as good. So was it the jtm45?

Re: Angus tone question

As far as I know you got it.
    My Bands -
    https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
    www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
    www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
    GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

isn't the bluesbreaker combo the same thing as the jtm45? you'd just have to change out the 5881s to kt66 and it would probably nail that tone. Then an attenuator to get the tubes cookin and a tubescreamer for gainier leads if needed.

Comment

The Bluesbreaker combo is a plexi in a combo form as far as i know.

Comment

Originally posted by Dodger
          The Bluesbreaker combo is a plexi in a combo form as far as i know.

The Bluesbreaker combo is a JTM45 in combo form. It has a GZ34 tube for it's rectifier.

Fenders: '69 CS Strat; Hwy1 Strat SSL2's, SSL3T;CP Jaguar
          Gibsons: LP DC STD Seth & Brobucker; LP STD Plus PGn & CC; (2)ES-335's; LP R7 Custom SNS & C4; LP '68 Custom '59A4 & C5; LP Trad 2014 PG & SNS; Explorer PG & C4; SG Std '57 & BB3;
          Jacksons: SL2H w/DMZ AN & Super D; DK1 w/59 & C5; Dinky Elite, DK2 w/AN & AZ, RR5FR
          Marshall 2550 Silver Jubilee; JMP 2203, Vox AC15C1; Gibson Super Goldtone GA30RV; Suhr CAA-OD100SE+, CAA PT100; Fender Vibrolux Reverb

Comment

Originally posted by slightly_rude
            The Bluesbreaker combo is a JTM45 in combo form. It has a GZ34 tube for it's rectifier.
            http://marshallamps.com/images/produ...tage/1962.html

Thats right!!! A JTM45 is different that most Marshall amps...It has KT-66's which are like big as 5881's and it also has a Tube rectifier...These amps are lots cleaner sounding that even a Plexi...A Bluesbreaker is still very different that a JTM-45 head with cab due to the combo with 2 12's and that fact that the speakers are wired backwards from the factory...this really cuts out some of the bottom end...byt the main body of the tone is still there. If you want to get youe Angus on...get an SG, vintage style pups (nothing hotter that a 59), and the oldest Marshall you can get youe hands on...plug stright in to the head turn the volume to about 7 and let it rip...as a side note DO NOT bridge the channels like most other people do on 4 hole marshalls.
            If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

the guy who invented fire, so did angus use jtm45s?

Comment

Angus is very bad with the names of gear...I have an interview where he called his SG "one of thoes damned red things"...I'm not for sure...I so know that I have never seen pics that would make me belive this, plus It sounds like to me that they are a little later...JTM-45's have a very signature tone...A tone I have never heard on an AC/DC record...I would bet my next paycheck that a 1959 Super Lead Plexi would get you the closest.
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

Working...
                X