banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever re-discover some of your old guitars?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever re-discover some of your old guitars?

I did this past week. In the process of condensing down on stuff, I fully intended on selling my Ovation 1771LX. Reading too many forums worth of acoustic stuff, I figured I'd sell it because everybody talks about how they sound like "plastic" and this and that. I had mine in an odd tuning and never really used it much (I was using an old factory 2nd Alvarez).

After listening to tons of Tom Petty and R.E.M. lately, I figured I'd bust it out, re-tune it back to standard and mess around with it. I'm glad I did. There's such a full, clear and polished sound from it that I couldn't believe I had dismissed it this long. The Alvarez had a mid scoop to it that bothered me after a while of using it and writing material on it got frustrating.

So, after all this time, I finally realized that this is the acoustic for me (atleast until I can afford a D-18 Martin RI). The neck is medium chunky, the guitar simply won't go out of tune, it gets a really nice balance of frequencies and I can strum really odd chords without it losing the notes.

Sometimes it pays to just stop listening to other people and play.
    Last edited by That90'sGuy; 07-18-2010, 10:34 AM.
    Originally posted by kevlar3000
    I learned a long time ago that the only thing that mattered regarding tone was what my ears thought.
    Originally posted by Zerberus
    Better is often the enemy of good
    Originally posted by ginormous
    Covers feed the body, originals feed the soul.

Re: Ever re-discover some of your old guitars?

Touring the Ovation USA building line in 2004 as part of a Hamer Open House was eye opening and very cool. Older ladies building guitars and not even guitar players. They were loving on them too. The end products looked great. I need to give in and buy a nice USA acoustic someday.

Old friends hiding in a case are always welcome rediscoveries. Dug a '76 Ibanez SG out about two weeks ago and I bet I have played it almost every day since even if it was only 10 minutes while watching the weather channel before bedtime.
    Aint no pro but I know what I like....
    Guitar to sound output:
    Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Yep...I rotate my guitars pretty regularly (only 6 electrics and 1 acoustic) so that I don't forget why I've retained the ones I have.

I've owned about a hundred guitars since 1989 when I got my first guitar, a hard to play Alvarez Regent, and have been fortunate enough to buy/sell/trade up to the ones I've kept.

It's very cool to pull one out after a bit and dig on it and remember why you kept it in the first place.
      MuttznMongrelz

1983 Kramer Pacer Imperial
      1983 Kramer Pacer Deluxe
      1988 Kramer Nightswan
      1989 Charvel Sambora
      2016 Warmoth Hellacaster
      Boogie Private Reserve Lone Star Combo
      Rivera Hundred Duo Twelve

sigpic

Comment

yea. i've got a squier strat that i reguarly pull out every few months and stuff an a2 humbucker in(any a2 pickup) with a 250k pot to do VH with since it's the only trem guitar i've got sitting around.
        Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
        ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

Yes, that's why it's nice to have a bunch of guitars. Like seeing an old friend again.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I rediscover guitars as I break a string on one then move on to the next....And then I find a cheesey SciFi movie and have a restring party.
            Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I KINDA did some time ago.

When I got my first "real" job I decided to celebrate it by buying a Washburn MG-122.
              When I first got it I loved it like all heck. Then I also bought an Ash MG-100 and then I would constantly A-B between the two. As a result I ended up seeing the things I didn't like in each guitar instead of the things that I DO like about them, resulting in casing them both for some months in favor of my usual No.1.

Some time ago though I took the MG-122 out again and kinda rediscovered it as a guitar of its' own rather than specs that I liked or didn't like and the truth of the matter is, I REALLY like this guitar.

I can still pinpoint the things I'd have liked to be different in her but I've decided that I like this guitar as a whole too much to be messing around with her.
              Some things just work the way they are and the more you tweak and mess with them the more that magic is lost...
              Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
              I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
              Originally posted by That90'sGuy
              Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

Originally posted by That90'sGuy View Post
                Sometimes it pays to just stop listening to other people and play.
                i agree.

i have my #1 strat, that is kind of semi retired these days, but when i pick it up it just feels like home

mike

Comment

i do that all the time... i have a large collection and sometimes a few years goes by without me opening a few of the cases... sometimes i find out that i should be playing some of them more often...

one was a 1994 Jackson Performer series Reverse Dinky... i bought that after winning $1400 on the lottery... i bought that guitar for $750canadian and turned around while it was less then a few months old and had a guy re-fret it for no other reason then i wanted smaller frets at the time... i was not a smart young man... and had a FRO installed and a JB in the bridge... needless to say i could of bought a better axe then that for $1400 at the time... The guy installed the FRO in the wrong spot so it never intonated right on the low E... i used it for a few years a lot and stuck it away... a few years ago i installed the original trem back on but the radius of the board had been changed sharper and didn't quite work 100%...

so i finally bit the bullet and bought a Schaller style floyd for it and just got it working 100% for the first time since 1994/95... it has seen a lot of use until the 2000's... by then i had moved on to a few Fenders... but i'm enjoying my metal machine again... it's fun

Comment

Working...
                  X