Tuning a "student" guitar??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tuning a "student" guitar??

Hey! A guy I work with (funny how since I started taking a guitar to work to practice on lunch, 5 guys have bought guitars.. ) anyhow, guy I work with bought this very low line student sized accoustic guitar. He is left handed, so he asked me to restring it reverse for him.. I did just that, even tho the Low E doesnt fit in the nut slot and all. Anyhow, Id like to tune it for him, but Im really afraid that it'll collapse under standard tuning.. The screws that hold the tuning key strips were loose out of the box and all. Anyhow, is there a normal tuning for a student size guitar? Or do you have suggestions?
    Its very sad, they have on the box "professional quality " and all that.. that should be illegal.
    Thanks for any input!
    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Re: Tuning a "student" guitar??

Size doesn't matter. It can handle standard A=440.

"Student" sized acoustics are so named because traditionally you'd begin learning/taking lessons as a child, hence the smaller size.
    Originally posted by Brown Note
    I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
    My Blog

Comment

What was the tuning he used before? If you tune it to the same pitch with same string gauge (same tension) it should not collapse.
      What was the string gauge he was using before. If you stringed it with the same gauge you will need to widen the slot in the nut in order to fit the low E string.
      "We live thinking we will never die. We die thinking we had never lived. Cut it out." - Jason Becker

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change" - Heraclitus

sigpicHouse of Jackson, Charvel, ESP, BC Rich, Dean etc.. Fans. Come and Join us!

Comment

I always tuned the 3/4 scale guitars to F#
        same as standard if capoed at 3rd fret
        that way the chord forms would remain the same
        EHD
        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by cakire82 View Post
          What was the tuning he used before? If you tune it to the same pitch with same string gauge (same tension) it should not collapse.
          What was the string gauge he was using before. If you stringed it with the same gauge you will need to widen the slot in the nut in order to fit the low E string.

Its new. he just got it and brought it straight to me. he is a lefty and its right handed.

I got it tuned to pitch (scary tho) and took a little rat tail file I have and opened up the not slot for the low e.. seems ok

thanks for the input
          Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

for $150 he could get an Encore left hander...... i have one myself, good bits of kit.
            Ich bin mein führer

Originally posted by tiptipono
            you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

Can you take the nut out and reverse it for him? I wouldn't tune it if the strings aren't fitting in the slot . . . it'll be very frustrating for him if he starts playing and one of the strings slips off of the neck. As far as the tuning keys, just get a screwdriver and tighten them a little.
              Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
              This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Working...
              X