Operation: Edumacation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Operation: Edumacation

I've been posting questions and searching for different POVs on this board for some time now, and have been taking it all in. I've also been saving about $6/wk for a project Warmoth, which means that you will have to put up the questions and mind-changing at the drop of a hat for at least the next 19yrs.

Just kidding, will be doing this next 3-6mos, just want to make sure I can make the best choice I can before sinking a shload of $$ into something.

So my original plan was a mahogany Strat body with a CC bridge and a p90 clone on a maple/ebony neck to brighten it up some and make it more articulated, mixing the sounds that I love from the Gibsons and the Fenders I've owned, with only a 3-way switch and volume - no tone - knobs for each pup. Would like to stay with that idea. But then today, I went through and listened to a shload of old 80s glam and about 2 straight hrs of Black Crowes (one of my fav bands EVER), and I realized something... about 1/2 of what I like to play is brighter than what most Gibbys do, and I already have a mahogany Flying V that I just need to refurb for the deeper, crunchier tones, and I've recently fallen in love with the Epi Dot after playing my friends for about 2wks straight that would cover a lot of the vintage sounds (He may not get it back, but that's OK, he has three LPs and a museum-quality PRS to keep him company. I'm not jealous. ps - I am).

Anyhow, have wanted an EVH clone ever since... well, ever. So instead of ONE guitar to cover all sounds, I'm good now with planning for a few guitars to really cover it all. So now, I need some more opinions and thoughts...

If I do a strat with an Alder body, which would be brighter than Mahogany but more balanced and less shrill than maple or basswood - for my tastes, at least - and use a Custom Custom in the bridge (Wilk trem) with the same maple/ebony neck, then which would be better to play the 80s lead stuff with - the P90 clone, or like a SSL-1 or other single? Also, would a HxS like Eddie's be good with that setup, or would an HSS with a 5-way and tone controls be better for what I'm looking at? I never use them, but can always learn how. Have just played Gibby's for so long I don't know much about single coils or middle pups anymore, but am thinking the P90 growl may not be glassy enough for some of what I want to do, and if I get a Dot I think a neck P90 would be perfect for that, so want to explore some options. Am just not that familiar with strats anymore.

Can you tell I'm kinda anal?
    "If it ain't been in a pawn shop, it can't play the blues" - Frank Edwards

Originally posted by ginormous
    If the body was in like-new condition, then I might consider it. That one looks like it's been used for a snowboard.

Re: Operation: Edumacation

I'd go HS, I don't care for HSS much at all, to be honest.
    Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

If you really want to be cool, do an Ash body.
      my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

If you're gonna go to all the trouble, go HSS. You will always get that neck tone and why miss out on the bluesy neck and mid? Basically a super strat. With these pickup
        configurations I always use a Schaller Mega switch that gives me:

1) Full bridge HB
        2) split B / M
        3) split B / N ( tele mid spot )
        4) M / N
        5) N

and you have 3 pots you can use as push/pulls for series/parallel/OOP, etc, etc....

Why skimp?

Comment

Working...
        X