banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The insane talent and chops of Frank Gambale.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The insane talent and chops of Frank Gambale.

A shot from Chick Corea's superband, Elektric.

Dave Weckl on drums, John Patitucci on bass, Gambale on guitar and guess who on the Rhoads and Piano.

Frank Gambale is just one of a kind.

Also, I think Patitucci has the worst stage presence ever.
    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Re: The insane talent and chops of Frank Gambale.

Interesting frets.

Comment

He's such a hard guy to fault, because he's a monster player, and I never like to fault gear choices, but in this case I feel compelled to.

His entire career, he's chosen the crappiest guitars, the crappiest amps, and has crap for tone. And his mathematical style compounded by all that crap gear results in a mojo black hole.

That sounds terrible, especially since I know he'd wipe the floor with most of us on a technical jazz fusion level, but there's such a lack of soul and mojo, that it's all I can think of when I see or hear him.

He has great musicians surrounding him, and he plays great, but I feel like I'm hearing an Ibanez/Carvin/Roland clinician, and not an artist with taste for tone, style, or interesting music. Sorry, that's what I think.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Brilliant technique and choice of notes is well beyond most guitar players. I always hated, I mean HATED his tone. From his first solo albums to this clip, it is a timeline of bad bad tone. He needs some Duncans and some tone advice.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Thats fusion for you. but i dont think he really cares what we think...hes exploring on his own trip. Nothing wrong with that.
          "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
          Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

Yeah, but I love Holdsworth's, McLaughlin's, and Di Meola's tone. Gambale obviously thinks he sounds just fine. I love his phrasing and economy, even when he lets loose with a ton of notes. I just can't stand the sound. I will say, this clip is the best tone from him I have heard.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by gibson175 View Post
              Thats fusion for you. but i dont think he really cares what we think...hes exploring on his own trip. Nothing wrong with that.
              And that's why I feel guilty faulting him in any way. He really is a great player. Give him an ES-335 and Two Rock amp, get him stoned, give him a couple beers, let him go, and I'd probably have a totally different opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                He needs some Duncans
                his signature yamaha had stock JB in the bridge and hot rails in the middle and neck - he use to be on the duncan homepage as a featured endorsee/endorser

i thought his tone was brilliant when he played the boogie triaxis through a pair of bag end 1x12" cabs loaded with EVs - i cant recall off the top of my head what power amp he played through then ... i wanna say it was an OLD peavey ...

to me, he is like mike stern .. i overlook less than appealing tone because the note choice and execution are just so 'beyond' ... he talks about using solid state gear because he needs world wide flexibility (120/240., 50/60) because he plays in asia and europe a lot more than he plays in the states) and world class consistency and reliability - he needs to travel cheap, so no full time amp tech to rebias his gear and keep it all tip top ...

and he's a helluva nice guy and frikkin funny as all get out

been a fan since 86

t4d
                gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Mike Stern is another great example of what I'm talking about. Amazing player with bad tone and the mojo black hole. I hate saying it, but IMO it's what separates those 2 from the same type of players that blow us away in every way.....like Mike Landau, Jimmy Herring, Robben Ford, Larry Carlton, and Scott Henderson.
                  Last edited by Gearjoneser; 07-20-2010, 09:11 PM.

Comment

Wow guys I'm impressed. This is some deep analysis! Way over my head!
                    "Anyone who understands Jazz knows that you can't understand it. It's too complicated. That's what's so simple about it." - Yogi Berra

Comment

Hehe he still sounds like he is playing a clarinet on guitar!
                      That man is a friggin' monster.....
                      Mad music....but ever since the middle 80's from when I heard him the first time.....bad bad bad tone!

Comment

He seems to cross that line between his note choice and phrasing sounding musical to my ears, to just being way over my head, all within one song.
                        So it's definitely not something I can listen to all day, but the occasional clip here and there, always good.
                        His economy picking is just ABSURDLY good.

Comment

Cheeck out these boys!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

And just because!!

Por mi Patria.....OLE!!!

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

He's a great technician but the music bores me to tears. For fusion, I likes me some Al DiMeola.
                            "The disgusting stink of a too loud electric guitar. Now that's my idea of a good time." Frank Zappa

Comment

Sometimes when I want to hear INSANE guitar playing that's so over-the-top that it turns my brain to mush...

I listen to Gambale and Holdsworth doing "Centrifugal Funk". Not a good tune to get your girl in the mood with, or listen for holy grail tone... but for PURE CHOPS it's a jaw dropper...

BTW... Frank's tone in this video is a bit thinner, but very similar to the tones Holdsworth has generated over the years.
                              Last edited by Red_Label; 07-21-2010, 02:58 PM.
                              "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Working...
                              X