Blocking a tremolo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blocking a tremolo

There is a good chance I will be blocking my tremolo on my Classic Player Strat and have never done this before so I got a question or two:

1. When do you take the measurements for the wood block? I mean do you first make sure your guitar is all tuned to pitch and stuff and then flip it over and measure the distance between the edge of the tremolo block and the body cavity? Or do you take the measurements at some other point? Like there is a YouTube video in which the guy removed all the strings and he also removed the tremolo claw first before even taking his measurements for the wood block.

2. If I understand correctly you can block the tremolo in two places. You can put one block on the left side of the tremolo block and another on the right side of the tremolo block. Seems to me if you place a block on the left side of the tremolo block this will prevent upward tremolo movement. If you place a block on the right side of the tremolo block this will prevent downward tremolo movement. How do some of you guys have your Strats blocked?

Re: Blocking a tremolo

I would measure it after it is tuned to pitch. I have a Jackson super strat (DK2M) with a floyd that I have modified with a tremol-no. So I can use it in all 3 modes as full floating, dive only and hard tail. Great little tool

"We live thinking we will never die. We die thinking we had never lived. Cut it out." - Jason Becker

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change" - Heraclitus

sigpicHouse of Jackson, Charvel, ESP, BC Rich, Dean etc.. Fans. Come and Join us!

Comment

Best thing to do is use five springs and have the tremolo sit flush with the top. This is what Clapton does. I've done this and you don't even need a block of you have the springs tight enough.
      Other things I've heard of are the right amount of quarters taped up and an Shreak toy from Burger King.
      "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

Originally posted by John_L View Post
        Other things I've heard of are the right amount of quarters taped up and an Shreak toy from Burger King.
        Don't waste quarters if you have old guitar picks around.
        "We live thinking we will never die. We die thinking we had never lived. Cut it out." - Jason Becker

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change" - Heraclitus

sigpicHouse of Jackson, Charvel, ESP, BC Rich, Dean etc.. Fans. Come and Join us!

Comment

I also use Tremol-no. Kinda costly, but it works great. And it's easy to restore back to original condition if you want.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

You want to cut a block big enough to fit behind the block that the springs connect to. You also want to make sure the claw is pretty tight. It should measure about 5/16ths thick. Just drop it in behind the block and if its too looses you can loosen the claw screws a bit. the blocked bridge will prevent the bridge from lifting off the body!
            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Working...
            X