G&L Comanche & S-500

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G&L Comanche & S-500

Local dealer just marked a couple way down (like Comanche for $850 down). I wanted one of these a number of years back, but my finances took a swing in the other direction and I had to abandon the idea.

What do you guys think of these?

I was told a number years back that the idea behind the MFD pickups was that Leo was bothered by everyone having to use boosts and ODs to get the sound they wanted out of his single coils, so he developed the MFD. The idea is that they have your typical single coil sound when turned down a bit, but then give you that 'more' when you turn them up. Any opinions on this?

Any opinions on the regular MFD vs Z MFD pickups?

Any opinions on the z pickups vs other noiseless single coils?

Any opinions on the S-500/Comanche in general?
    || Guitar | Wah | Vibe | Amp ||

Re: G&L Comanche & S-500

the S-500 is what a strat should be but never is.
    "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

I've always loved the look of the Commanche with the Z's, but the one thing is you have to love the pickups, because replacements are few, if any
      Last edited by AniML; 07-22-2010, 03:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by AniML View Post
        I've always loved the look of the Commance with the Z's, but the one thing is you have to love the pickups, because replacements are few, if any
        +1

I've had three G&L guitars (two ASAT Specials and a Legacy). Always wanted to add a Commanche to the stable. But those pickups just scare me. Cause if you don't like them, then you've got to get a pickguard to fit the G&L that's got regular SC or HB pickup holes and get those pickups. I just haven't wantet to go that deep into it.
        "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

I'm in Winnipeg... which store is this?

Comment

Originally posted by ibanezrocks View Post
            I'm in Winnipeg... which store is this?
            It's in Brandon.

Long story short, I wound up picking up a Legacy. The MFD pickups in the S-500/Comanche are great... fat leads with plenty of cut. Would be perfect for a "Strat" player that wants more firepower without resorting to a humbucker. However, I realized that I'm a Les Paul player and the last thing I need is another guitar with more firepower.

Once I started backing down from the stinging leads the ceramic magnets in the MFD pickups started to feel a little flatter while the alnico V in the Legacy pickups started to sing. Went with the more traditional sounding Legacy as a complement to my Gibsons.

Really happy with my decision; however, if I had another $850 I'd gladly grab the Comanche for it's lead tones.

Comment

Lets see some pics
              BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
              Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
              Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
              Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
              Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
              Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
              Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
              Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
              Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
              Gibson EBO

Comment

Comment

I used to have many G&Ls including two ASATs and one S-500. I never really bonded with the neck of the S-500 but it was great in every other way. So I ended up selling it.

Too bad, because it was translucent blue over ash.

If you can get one new for $850, that's a great price.

Comment

Working...
                  X