X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ibanez 335 clone needs fret help

Hi all.

The guitar I'm playing in this pic...

is a 1980 (?) Ibanez Artist Series AS-50. It's bone stock, and I'm the original owner. The OEM tuning pegs gave up the ghost after about 20 years, and were swapped out for Grovers. Exact fit, right to the drill holes for the little Phillips-head screws. How often does that happen?

I'm having some problems with the high E string catching on the edge of the 5th fret if I strum hard or after a bend. Is this a refret, or can I just tap it back into place with a block of wood and a hammer?
    sigpic
    "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
    --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
    Originally posted by Lewguitar
    In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Re: Ibanez 335 clone needs fret help

Those are great guitars Reggie, as I'm sure you know. I know Beandip and others will contribute good stuff here for you, but i will offer this in the meantime :

Have you had a real close look at the offending fret ? Put a small straight-edge along a few frets to see if number 5 has lifted a little ? My guess would be that you might be able to tap the fret-end back down, or remove the fret and re-curve it and re-install it.

What is the general condition of all the frets ? Are they grooved from 30 years of use ? Has the guitar ever been re-fretted ? Is that an ebony board on those guitars, or rosewood, or ... ?
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

I also think you may be able to tap that fret back down...you may need a dab of glue to hold it down if it wont stay. I am always hesitant to refret a guitar I love...so if you do spend the $$ on someone good and get the new frets dressed, leveled AND Plek'd. It will be worth every penny.
      My Sound Clips

Comment

that happend to my sheraton on 2 or 3 frets. i tapped them down a bit and it was ok for a while but the problem came back, i ended up putting some glue where they would get stuck and problem solved
        our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
        'Cause all the girls are sluts,
        And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Working...
        X