odd thing about the EVH Frankie reproduction

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odd thing about the EVH Frankie reproduction

i was looking at the expensive but crappy EVH Frankie guitar today and noticed it has an R2 narrow nut on a much wider neck!!!! LOL!!! It could easily take an R4 nut

I'm working on my own butchered strat today and it's pretty close to the mess the Frankie is... endless mods and changes to it lots of bumps and digs... but mine may still be a better guitar then the $30,000 EVH thing... LOL

Re: odd thing about the EVH Frankie reproduction

Originally posted by WhoFan View Post
    i was looking at the expensive but crappy EVH Frankie guitar today and noticed it has an R2 narrow nut on a much wider neck!!!! LOL!!! It could easily take an R4 nut

I'm working on my own butchered strat today and it's pretty close to the mess the Frankie is... endless mods and changes to it lots of bumps and digs... but mine may still be a better guitar then the $30,000 EVH thing... LOL
    I believe the neck is a 1 3/4", which would be an R5.

And the reason it's like this- is that's exactly how the original Frankie was. There's many close up pics showing the original Frankie was like this. When Floyds first came out, I think they only had R-2 nuts available (1 5/8")- and Ed got one of the first units.

Comment

yeah, it definitely does look funny but i think this is supposed to be the most exact and detailed replica guitar out there. if it was on the original its on this guitar! weird nut and all.

Comment

that is kind of weird, i could see the nut being off in the early 80s when the floyd came out, but since then its had several different necks on it...

mike

Comment

Ed liked the narrow spacing on a wider neck.
          -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
          “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

weird, then he switched to the SUPER narrow EBMM EVH. Go figure
            Ibanez Roadstar II
            EBMM AXIS HoneyBurst
            VHT 50/12 Pitbull

Jack Nicholson: It's not true. Some have great stories, pretty stories that take place at lakes with boats and friends and noodle salad. Just no one in this car. But, a lot of people, that's their story. Good times, noodle salad. What makes it so hard is not that you had it bad, but that you're that pissed that so many others had it good.

Comment

I always find it funny that people want to mimic Eddies guitar exactly. I always found it more of an inspiration to go my own way.
              "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

did they sell any of these?i thought the price was just ridiculous.if i spend 30 grand on a guitar,its gonna say les paul on it.
                play louder than the other guy.....

Comment

Originally posted by ravendouglas View Post
                  did they sell any of these?i thought the price was just ridiculous.if i spend 30 grand on a guitar,its gonna say les paul on it.
                  if i spend 30 grand on a guitar, it better be made of solid gold and sound like heaven!
                  Yo, i'm Ryan™.

https://www.facebook.com/patchworklv
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=der6aGGzQTk
                  ^link to 7 tracks of my band, Patchwork

Comment

i was thinking les paul as in something like gibbons or pages guitars.from what,57 i think,58. maybe.
                    play louder than the other guy.....

Comment

They sold out in a month.
                      "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

Originally posted by John_L View Post
                        I always find it funny that people want to mimic Eddies guitar exactly. I always found it more of an inspiration to go my own way.
                        +1. i'd be embarrassed to get on stage with that thing...

plus if you look ed changed his guitar all the time, its not like he built it, and called it good.

i do like the idea of hot rodding, or taking the best parts/features from a bunch of guitars and making something thats mine, that is cool

mike

Comment

+1

It kills me to see people replicate a guitar that was actually just a heap of ****. The guy was trying to go his own way with what limited electrical knowledge he had.
                          Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05
                          I dig the wood!

Comment

agreed. i think the reason his guitars are so loved is more because the idea behind it is awesome, not necessarily the guitars themselves. they look cool, don't get me wrong. but i think the idea that it looks like it could have been built out of parts found in a junkyard but still sounds amazing is whats so cool. at least to me.

right now i'm building my own superstrat. more inspired by george lynch than EVH, but it'll still be all mine and nobody else's when its all finished.

Comment

ya the original Frankie was a POS... a constant work in motion... but the wood and hardware where all top notch stuff for the start... the wood parts were labeled factory 2nd's for a flaw butstill the wood was btter then most... people seem to forget that higher grade parts that were used, then all messed up from constant experiments...

My Chandler/Warmoth MUTT has had many changes done to it over the years and no matter what i seem to do for electronics and PU's it always sounds good... i bet the frankies body was the same... always sounded good...

and ya the strat i'm working on is inspired by EVH for sure... a white basswood body, birdseye maple neck, single humbucker... but i keep F--king up the Floyd posts and i have no idea why... i measure again and again and think i have my template for the post holes in the right place only to find i drilled the holes cockeyed... one farther back then the other, or having the bridge too far to one side so the strings don't line up on the neck right...... not sure what the F i'm doing wrong! and this is not the first time i mounted a trem on a guitar but this is the first floyd style posts i've done...

Comment

Working...
                              X