The Ultimate Relic??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Ultimate Relic??

that is a cool body, I think i would just put a neck and the guard on it and rock that guitar.
    Cleveland Guitars

Comment

That's alot of money for a plank.

Comment

The relicing looks fake to me too. You can see the multiple directions that it was rubbed and scraped by hand.
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
        ••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
          If I sold that, I'd jump up and down with excitement, jump on Craigslist and get a 2006 Mustang or something.
          Wait, which 2006 Mustang do you mean? This

or

?
          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Why not both? Of course, the colours would have to match.
            I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

Winning bid: $ 12,099.

Looks like there's a lot of people with far more money than common sense out there...

Comment

Yeah, that's unreal. 12K, body only.... WTF?!?

Comment

If you had the money to throw around on it, why not?

As someone posted a pic above of it- nobody needs to spend $25000+ on a car like a Mustang that has far more power than anyone will ever need, either, but people do it all the fricking time. Why spend $ on going out to eat when you can eat at home for cheaper? Why spend money on going out to the movies? Or on a video game machine? It's because they WANT it, and they can (hopefully) afford to do so. Its all a luxury.

Sounds to me like these people who pay big $ for guitars and cars have enough common sense to have provided a very good living for themselves. Good for them!
                  I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Old wood can have all the mojo in the world but that’s just too much money just for a good bit of wood.
                    I understand why it’s gone for so much, and the fact it was found in a barn is ace. It is also a cool bit of guitar history.
                    But the wood itself is no way worth the asking price.
                    Is it worth the price as a piece of history… well obviously yes as some one was willing to stump up the cash. I don’t understand why people are willing to part with so much cash for old guitars, or rare paintings. I always think there must be something better you could do with the money… but what do I know
                    It's a valve sporker... it sporks valves

Comment

super cool body, and my kind of archaeology ... pretty appropriate that they found it in a barn

I'm crazy ... I even kinda like the finish "as is"!!!! great patina!!!

looks legit to me from the mark in the neck pocket, and the hardware is in great shape, unlike a lot of overdone relics that look like a horse peed on 'em.

$12K is a lot ... there are people who could do a fairly accurate repro neck, like Nacho Banos did for Bill Hullett, but if you could eventually find an original neck, it would be worth the investment.
                      "music heals"
                      facebook

Comment

"A sucker is born every minute"
                        P.T. Barnum

"A fool and his money are soon parted"
                        Anonimous

Thank George Gruhn. He created the "Vintage" craze. It all started when he funded Guitar Player magazine at the very beginning. He wrote the "Vintage" column for many years. He basically created this concept to help to move his inventory of old planks nobody wanted then.

Remember PAFs? At that time everybody and heir dog were taking'em out of their guitars to put Di Marzios in because they SUCKED THE BIG ONE.

Nowadays they may go for $ 10,000.00 for a pair. The only different being that SOMEBODY told you they're GOOD. Suddenly they sound great? Gimme a break!

This market called "perceived value" is based solely on ignorance, snobism and gullibility. The same applies with $ 150.00 20-feet guitar leads, $ 100.00 capacitors and so on.

He was a GENIUS! Never underestimate the stupidity of the human race...

Your honor, I rest my case! And I put my asbestos underware on, I'm smelling high flame wars are on their way...

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
                          You guys seem to be missing the point...
                          i somewhat agree but i take into account what I6 and the others have said.

thing is, again, this is like my post on the relic strat thread and i have basically turned around and said, how can it warrant such a high value when its just a beat up old guitar????

i mean yeah, if it was cheaper then it may well be a maybe for me, cos all i see is the words 'used' 'telecaster' and nothing else, i would just buy it cause its obviously has had an interesting life and yeah it would make a great relic guitar, but not at that price.
                          Ich bin mein fόhrer

Originally posted by tiptipono
                          you have a mental problem? Your brain gets screwed? You purchased this stupidity over the years or it runs in your family genes?

It's like I tell you to sell your daughter/son to father better than you and buy instead toaster

Comment

Kojak, I kind of agree.
                            my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

unless some one has a stash of early Fender parts it will never be worth more then a mutt... this body will not be worth much more then the bid that won even after it is refinnished, and put together with aftermarket parts...

now if someone happened to have some era correct necks and hardware they could make money on this.... our local vintage dealer in Toronto has vintage part mutts in from time to time... they had a tele in that was a 61 body with a 90's era neck and hardware

Comment

Working...
                              X