Hand-painting a guitar.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand-painting a guitar.

Yeah, I know it's all been said and done before here and everywhere but if I start searching then I'll no doubt end up more confused so let's go over it one more time. Please?

Let's say that I have a nice SG copy that I really like. Lets also say that the red finish has been chipping off around the control area to show quite nicely grained Mahogony and I'm completely addicted to picking at it, more and more and more and so on. Let's also say that I was at a gig a few nights ago and three guitarists were using red SGs. They're really far too common and I figure I can always get another red SG, right?

So, if I wanted to do some custom artwork on it the old fashioned way with a brush and some paint what would I have to do? The existing finish should come off without a problem. I'd like to keep the natural grain of the wood showing but paint some sort of symbol or design or some such in a simple black-on-wood sort of thing. Would I need to seal the wood first? I'd like it clear-coated to protect the image but I don't want anything too thick as I'm really hoping that removing this finish will help it breathe and resonate a little better. What kind of paint should I use and what should I use to clearcoat over it?

Sorry for the newest repetition of the whole refinishing theme but I honestly don't know anything about painting guitars. Thanks for any help you can offer.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Re: Hand-painting a guitar.

Oh yeah, some inspiration on what the **** to paint on there would be nice too.

So I dunno, post pictures of your favourite custom paint jobs or something. Just to make the thread a bit more interesting maybe.
    I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

well you would want to lightly seal the bare wood before the artwork lest it run
      then another coat of sealant when finished to protect said artwork

might I suggest an artistic rendition of the back of Katy Perry's head
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Use One Shot lettering paint. Needs no primer and no clear. Sign painters, pinstripers use it for all outdoor stuff. Takes a few days to dry real good, but it glosses off nice and self levels for no streaks....check out this seat i did for Watts...all One Shot over a flaked-n-cleared green. Have fun....

Gibson KS 336, LP Standard, Special and Customs
        Bogner, Orange, Tech 21 and Fender amps
        Celestion speakers
        Duncan, Bare Knuckle, WCR and Gibson pups
        Too many pedals....

Comment

Spraypaint "NICKELBACK" on it in big ****ing letters. It'll make sure that you have the most amount of time possible to spend with your guitars - nobody will want to be around you.
          Custom neck-thru strat
          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
          1995 PRS CE24
          D'avanzo #8
          Breedlove Solo Concert
          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
          1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
          Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
            well you would want to lightly seal the bare wood before the artwork lest it run
            then another coat of sealant when finished to protect said artwork

might I suggest an artistic rendition of the back of Katy Perry's head
            Yeah, with the crosshairs of a rifle scope aimed directly at the centre of it.

Originally posted by butnut View Post
            Use One Shot lettering paint. Needs no primer and no clear. Sign painters, pinstripers use it for all outdoor stuff. Takes a few days to dry real good, but it glosses off nice and self levels for no streaks....check out this seat i did for Watts...all One Shot over a flaked-n-cleared green. Have fun....
            That looks awesome, dude. Thanks for the advice, I'll take a look at that One Shot stuff.

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
            Spraypaint "NICKELBACK" on it in big ****ing letters. It'll make sure that you have the most amount of time possible to spend with your guitars - nobody will want to be around you.
            ...On second thoughts, maybe I will go with the back of Katy Perrys head

Comment

Originally posted by Kam View Post
              Oh yeah, some inspiration on what the **** to paint on there would be nice too.

So I dunno, post pictures of your favourite custom paint jobs or something. Just to make the thread a bit more interesting maybe.
              Atom Schmitt's Creston, hand-painted by Sarah Ryan.

my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post

I could definitely rock with that. Cheers dude.

EDIT: Actually, I had a look at the rest of her work and it set some little wheels of inspiration rolling. Seriously, thanks man, that stuff's pretty cool.

By the way, does anyone else have any more advice on how to actually go about painting it?

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post

Nice job!
                  BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
                  Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
                  Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
                  Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
                  Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
                  Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
                  Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
                  Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
                  Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
                  Gibson EBO

Comment

Working...
                  X