string gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• string gauge

Im just going back to electric these days after a few years strictly on acoustic. having played 12 gauge strings on my acoustic for years now I cant get used to 9 gauge on electric, it just feels too thin

so is it possible to go from 9 to 10, or maybe even 11, on my electric without an alterations to the truss rod?

Re: string gauge

as soon as you move up in string size the extra tension on the neck will cause more relief which would need a truss rod adjustment to fix. if you dont mind the action being high then you can do without the adjustment but it would be better to slap some 11's on and adjust the truss rod

Comment

It's definitely possible, but it all depends on the particular guitar, the present state of its setup, and your tolerance/preferences. You can't hurt anything by trying out a heavier gauge and seeing if the setup is OK without a truss rod tweak.

Comment

Originally posted by Fikealox View Post
        It's definitely possible, but it all depends on the particular guitar, the present state of its setup, and your tolerance/preferences. You can't hurt anything by trying out a heavier gauge and seeing if the setup is OK without a truss rod tweak.
        This.

I move up and down between 10s and 11s pretty regularly and there are small movements in the action height but I like a relatively high setup anyway so it generally doesn't bother me. I just give it a quick intonation adjustment and I'm ready to go. It may be something that drives you mad though, it all depends. I reckon you should slap those 11s on and give it a try.
        I remember calloused hands and paint-stained jeans, and I remember safe-as-houses self-belief.

Comment

+1 Try it. There's no harm.

Here's what I do:

Install strings, tune to pitch & play. Find the gauge most comfortable for you. Once you've found the strings you like, leave 'em on the guitar for at least a day or 2.

After a day or 2 check your action at the bridge and the relief in the neck. Make adjustments if necessary. When making adjustments to the truss rod, release the tension on the strings & make only small adjustments to the truss rod. Allow the truss rod to settle overnight before tuning to pitch. Repeat if necessary. Then re-set intonation and you should be ready to rock.
          If I know I'm going crazy, I must not be insane.

Originally posted by TheLivingDead
          DON'TGETMADBRO

Comment

Originally posted by Nem View Post
            Im just going back to electric these days after a few years strictly on acoustic. having played 12 gauge strings on my acoustic for years now I cant get used to 9 gauge on electric, it just feels too thin

so is it possible to go from 9 to 10, or maybe even 11, on my electric without an alterations to the truss rod?
            I would go to 11's. I use 13's on all my acoustics, and was having difficulty going to electrics that were strung with 10's. I couldn't keep the guitars in tune & was squeezing everything out of pitch.

I restrung one guitar with 11's and after about a day I went and bought a bunch of 11 sets and restrung all of them. Good choice in my case. Better tone. my guitars seem to play better and I think I get more life with the 11's as well.
            "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
            "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I would try the 10s first they are the regulars Electrics as 12s are the regulars on Acoustics.

Comment

yeah go with some 10's
                BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
                Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
                Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
                Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
                Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
                Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
                Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
                Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
                Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
                Gibson EBO

Comment

Working...
                X