No clean up on the neck pickup...?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No clean up on the neck pickup...?

In my SG I just installed a neck pickup (Humbucker made by PoorMan) and it used to clean up really well, now it doesn't clean up at all...

I'm playing through the same setup but it likes to keep the same amount of overdrive as I roll down the volume knob, even at it's quietest its distorted.

I changed the pot from a full size Alpha Pot to a mini CTS. Both 500k. That's when I started having the problem so I'm assuming it's something wrong with the pot.

Any help?
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Re: No clean up on the neck pickup...?

is the new pot a linear or audio taper (log) pot? if thats the only change you made, i would check that first.
    Last edited by woemoejack; 08-03-2010, 11:39 AM.
    Beer me!
    Originally posted by Kam
    ...This machine runs on pr0n.

Comment

Disconnect the pot and see whether that fix0rs it?

Comment

go back to the old pot, i doubt its the pup.

Comment

You have a multi-meter; use it to check out the pots.
          "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
          "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
            In my SG I just installed a neck pickup (Humbucker made by PoorMan) and it used to clean up really well, now it doesn't clean up at all...

I'm playing through the same setup but it likes to keep the same amount of overdrive as I roll down the volume knob, even at it's quietest its distorted.

I changed the pot from a full size Alpha Pot to a mini CTS. Both 500k. That's when I started having the problem so I'm assuming it's something wrong with the pot.

Any help?
            Most likely you got the wiring/soldering wrong...

Comment

Working...
            X