Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Babycaster Thread II: Neck Choices

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
    my fav carve is the 54 - it is their take on the EJ strat neck which i am over the moon for

and yeah, 6150s is a great answer too

i am starting to love flatter radii too ... my EJ is 12"... my PRS 245 is 10" ... and my brian moore is probably best of all at 15"

i think you are onto something with your compromise

i prefer 25.5" on strat-ish axes like this babycaster ... i am in love with gibson scales for H-H guitars ... i just cant get on with 25" ... but if you dig it, rock on!
    Thanks for all the input Bill!

Glad to hear that meeting in the middle of two comfortable radii is not heralded by all as a terrible idea!
    my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Also on the 25" scale thing --- the goal of this guitar is to get it into the hands of my son as soon as possible --- and I know that a 25" scale, however minute the difference may be, is "easier" than a 25.5.

Comment

i think i understand the logic behind a slightly shorter scale getting it into his hands sooner, but i dont think there would be a practical difference observed e.g in months sooner with a gibby scale as compared to a fender scale or prs scale

also, stainless steel frets for easy of bending?
        gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Originally posted by tone4days View Post
          i think i understand the logic behind a slightly shorter scale getting it into his hands sooner, but i dont think there would be a practical difference observed e.g in months sooner with a gibby scale as compared to a fender scale or prs scale

also, stainless steel frets for easy of bending?
          I agree - no real big difference. The main reason I'm going with a 25" conversion neck is that the point of this guitar is to combine everything I like into one place and see if it works.

I was thinking about SS frets pretty hard, but the luthiers at USACG are as adamant as they can be while remaining polite about how they can't recommend SS frets for tonal reasons.

Comment

Originally posted by ImmortalSix View Post
            I agree - no real big difference. The main reason I'm going with a 25" conversion neck is that the point of this guitar is to combine everything I like into one place and see if it works.

I was thinking about SS frets pretty hard, but the luthiers at USACG are as adamant as they can be while remaining polite about how they can't recommend SS frets for tonal reasons.
            ah, then robert is indeed your mother's brother
            gear list in profile

"no seymour - no tone ... know seymour - know tone!"

Is it not the glory of the people of America that, whilst they have paid a decent regard to the opinions of former times and other nations, they have not suffered a blind veneration for antiquity, for custom, or for names, to overrule the suggestions of their own good sense, the knowledge of their own situation, and the lessons of their own experience?" - James Madison - Federalist #14

Comment

Comment

Working...
              X