Flater board on an LP?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flater board on an LP?

This is just a musing rather than something I'm planning on doing tomorrow, but at some point I'm going to get my Tokai LP re-fretted as they're a bit battered and I prefer more jumbo frets than it currently has.
    Thing is I also like quite flat fret boards so the question arrises if I'm going to get someone to re-fret the beast why not get them to completely re-do the board in a flater kinda fashion.
    I mean, apart from killing the re-sale value of a guitar that, for very personal reasons, I can never sell, why not flatten the fretboard.

Obviously the purists will hate me for even mentioning the idea, hell I could get the neck thined as well, perhaps get them to put a floyd in (that last one really is a joke).
    It's a valve sporker... it sporks valves

Re: Flater board on an LP?

The Tune-O-Matic bridge on your LP is a 12" radius which matches the fretboard. You'd have to look into some extensive bridge mods to make it work.
    www.lockwireguitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by pinto79 View Post
      The Tune-O-Matic bridge on your LP is a 12" radius which matches the fretboard. You'd have to look into some extensive bridge mods to make it work.
      Yeh, I know, it's also pretty much non reversible so if I don't like I'm stuck.

Pity no one makes a 'super Paul' I could try.

The idea of a set neck, heavy bodied guitar with a superstrat feel appeals to me today

Comment

Originally posted by Uk Ant View Post
        Yeh, I know, it's also pretty much non reversible so if I don't like I'm stuck.

Pity no one makes a 'super Paul' I could try.

The idea of a set neck, heavy bodied guitar with a superstrat feel appeals to me today
        If you can find one a PRS SC Trem (sometimes called a SC McCarty)
        "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

Gibbo LP Axcess, or the Epi Version (feels quite necie, actually). Another option would be Carvin. I've had my heart set on a SC90C myself lately.
          Ain't nothin' but a G thang, baby.

Comment

You wouldn't have to modify the bridge extensivly. Just new blank saddles, cut string slots to the desired radius, remove excess material as needed. Hour job, tops.
            This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by Benjy_26 View Post
              Another option would be Carvin. I've had my heart set on a SC90C myself lately.
              I'd love to try some Carvins... but they're as rare as a rare thing having a very rare day over here.

Comment

Kramer have a LP with a super strat neck and a Floyd for under £400 might be worth a look.
                "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

Gibson Tune-O-Matics are NEVER properly radiused when they leave the factory. Filing the saddles to match the radius of the neck is the secret to getting great playablity with a Paul, or any Gibby with a TOM or Nashville bridge for that matter.

One of my LPs. an Elegant, has a compound radius fingerboard. the flatter radius of the upper fretboard make for super easy bends. You might look into a compund radius option at the time of your refret.

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
                  X