Tell me about: Hamer Blitz - USA 1982

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell me about: Hamer Blitz - USA 1982

got a line on one here locally for $699. It has the sustain block bridge which is string thru body as opposed to the Floyd Rose. Any experiences with them on here?
    Blessed is he who expects little for he shall not be disappointed.
    You can educate ignorance but you can not educate stupidity.

Originally posted by stratocastered
    In a world where its necessary for a man to wax his chest, you'll find me parallel parking perfectly with a 12-pack and a full beard.
    http://www.reverbnation.com/c./a4/11...65/Artist/link

Re: Tell me about: Hamer Blitz - USA 1982

By and large, they're absolutely awesome guitars. I've had a few myself, and while they've moved on, they're still missed.

(You hear that, Mr. Bowen??? I'll get that sucker back, one day!)

3 pc mahogany bodies, 3 pc mahogany necks, nice rosewood boards, Dimarzio Hamer Slammer pickups, and the Sustain block is cool as hell. The problem most people have with them is the oddball 3x3 Hamer hs. 699 is a bit high, though.

The most trashed guitar I've ever had. Played like a champ, though it looked like it got dragged behind a car:

My much nicer and more rare Hockey-head Floyd:

Last edited by formula73; 08-06-2010, 11:10 PM.

Comment

thanks for the info. i'm actually ok with the headstock - i was also thinking the price was a little high - it is fairly beat up (i'm talking finish issues, not structural ones) so i was going to offer $500 cashola. Not sure though.....they also have a 1991 Explorer and a Mesa Stilletto head (stage 1, if that makes any sense?).

In a world where its necessary for a man to wax his chest, you'll find me parallel parking perfectly with a 12-pack and a full beard.

Comment

As cool as Explorers are, I'd put my money on the Hamer being a better guitar, and it's just a hair easier to reach the 22nd fret.

Comment

hmm - ok, you know, i used to have an epi explorer and i loved it - sitting down! Standing up the first fret was a little.....how shall I say...out there? You know, just a little further away than the frst fret on my other 24.75 guitars - does the Hamer have this also? I've only played it sat down (just thought about that)

Comment

Well yeah, man. Putting on an Explorer is like hanging a telephone pole off a guitar strap.

Comment

lol - thanks man - appreciate the insight!

Comment

Not up on old Hamer prices right now but those late 70's and early 80's Hamer guitars are amazing pieces!

Well made, play great and sound great...whats not to like?!

All Hamers are great guitars but to me the oild ones have something special and that sustain block brodge is great! It's one of my fav hardtail bridges ever!
                If you just read a post by The Guy Who Invented Fire please understand that opinions change, mind sets change and as players our ears mature...not to mention our needs grow and change. With that in mind, today I may or may not agree with the post you just read!

Comment

The necks on those 80's Hamers generally played great!
                  They were great, well built guitars, with amazing tone.
                  The stock Hamer Slammer pickups were made by Dimarzio. Don't get them mixed up with the import Slammer Series guitars. Hamer didn't have an import series yet in the 80's and all the guitars and components were great quality stuff, made in the US.
                  Unfortunately, because it was cool to run back and forth across the stage while playing, throw your guitar, etc in the 80's, a lot of great 80's guitars got the crap beat out of them.
                  The Sustain Block bridge is regarded as a serious tone and sustain-enhancing feature. I haven't played a guitar with one myself, but I know of guys who have ordered custom guitars from Hamer even in the last several years and requested the Sustain Block instead of the standard TOM bridge.
                  "Just like bad gas, they (metal riffs) sneak out every once in a while."
                  Jah Paul Jo - Dread Zeppelin
                  guitar pic site
                  Original prog rock on soundcloud
                  Original ambient guitar pieces on soundcloud
                  Original blues on soundcloud.com

Comment

Working...
                  X