NGD! First semi-hollow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NGD! First semi-hollow

I've been wanting one for a long time... finally succumbed to the GAS and bought this guy. I didn't have a tone of cash to spend, and this one outplayed the other Epis and Ibanezes in my price range.

AS73:

The unplugged tone is loud and lively, albeit on the bright side of the semi-hollows I've played. I had low expectations for the pickups, and while the bridge pickup is so far falling way short of my already low expectations, the neck pickup tones surprised me in a good way. I haven't had this much fun with a neck tone in awhile.
    Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Re: NGD! First semi-hollow

you could've done a lot worse man. those are fun.
    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Welcome to the world of semi-hollows! I shunned them for years ('old man guitars'), but when I finally bought one out of curiosity, they quickly became my favorite. What great tones, and so comfortable.

When I see a guy playing a Strat, there's a 50/50 chance the guys a total hack, but when I see a guy with a 335, he usually knows what he's doing, and has better tones than anyone else on stage.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by MikeS View Post
        I didn't have a tone of cash to spend...
        i love seeing this typo on guitar forums haha i feel like it's the ultimate freudian slip!

happy new guitar day, man! those are sweet guitars.

Comment

Don't let the semi-hollow body guitar fool you - I am a total hack.

Thanks, JaySwear! I make that typo quite often. Not just here... everywhere.
          Duncan Pickups in currently in use: '59 (rewound to PATB-3)/'59, Custom/AP2H, Tapped QP set for Tele, Crazy 8/Cool Rails, Screamin' Demon/Stra-Bro 90, Custom 5/Phat Cat, SP90-1/SP90-2, SMB-5D

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
            When I see a guy playing a Strat, there's a 50/50 chance the guys a total hack, but when I see a guy with a 335, he usually knows what he's doing, and has better tones than anyone else on stage.
            I disagree. Being a hack has nothing to do with the guitar you are playing.
            Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
            Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
              I disagree. Being a hack has nothing to do with the guitar you are playing.
              Oh yes it does. When you see a lot more live music son, you'll understand. Trust me on this one.
              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                Oh yes it does. When you see a lot more live music son, you'll understand. Trust me on this one.
                Brilliant.....................and correct

Comment

My friend has the same guitar! And I thought exactly the same.
                  The bridge pickup is just terrible... but the neck pickup is great!
                  And the mixed tones in the middle position can be awesome too.
                  I want one of those too! So congratulations.
                  Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                  Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                  Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                  Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

I've only played a couple of those, but I was very impressed for the money!! Good purchase, you will enjoy that for a long while.

-dave
                    I don't believe anything I say and only half of what you hear....

Comment

Originally posted by Diego View Post
                      You need one of those, Diego.

Comment

You're probably right, my good friend. But I can't really afford something new by these days.
                        My Allparts Strat is sitting on the fence by these days though...
                        It's not seeing much action.
                        Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                        Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                        Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                        Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

You're probably right, my good friend. But I can't really afford something new by these days.
                          My Allparts Strat is sitting on the fence by these days though...
                          It's not seeing much action.
                          All in good time. One day an opportunity will present itself, when you're ready to make the move. And then we want all the details.

Comment

The middle tone I'm digging the most is neck "10" for both volume and tone with the bridge tone rolled back to about 6. That seems to be the sweet spot for this pot/cap combo. The taper on the tone pots is way to steep for my liking, but I'll worry about electronics after I've had some time to acclimate myself. So far, so good.

Comment

Awesome guitar! that color is one of my favorites.
                              I love mine. I did find I needed to change the pickups and electronics in it. The pots were truly awful if I remember. The pickups weren't that bad, but I got a great deal on some Classic 57's about 12 years ago and I haven't looked back since.
                              Last edited by loudriver23; 08-08-2010, 12:50 AM. Reason: One more thing.
                              MIA Fender Deluxe Strat (Surfer Set/Custom Bridge)
                              MIJ Strat APS1/APS1/PATB-3
                              MIA Tele APTL-1/APTR-1
                              69' SF Bassman/ 212 Avatar Cab.
                              Ibanez LR10 Semi Hollow Body
                              Martin D28

Comment

Working...
                              X