Questions for SG owners...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Questions for SG owners...

1. Are all P90s mounted to the wood, even on batwing SGs? I saw a classic a while back that had the P90s floating with the pickguard and they were a little loose but still quite strong in there... I want to know if this was a one time dealy that somebody did (the P90s were switched out).

2. Are the humbucker Gibsons connected to the wood? My Epis aren't.

3. If #1 is true (all P90s are mounted) then can I assume the single P90 SG Jrs. from the early 2000s were as well?

Thanks guys!

Andrew
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Re: Questions for SG owners...

the humbuckers on gibsons are attached to the mounting rings, i assume it's the same on an epi

Comment

and i think that the p90s on batwing sgs are both mounted to the pickguard on one side

Comment

2 screws, through the pickup (or dog ears) into the wood. Never in my life have I seen a mounting ring or pickguard mounted p90 SG, or LP for that matter.
        This is the very perfection of a man, to find out his own imperfections. - St. Augustine of Hippo

Comment

Originally posted by beandip View Post
          2 screws, through the pickup (or dog ears) into the wood. Never in my life have I seen a mounting ring or pickguard mounted p90 SG, or LP for that matter.
          The one i saw there was two extra screws by each pickup that are not on the stock on so I think he was screwing with it.

Comment

bump

Comment

Look up "soapbar" versus "dogear".

Pickguarded guitars like the SG classic have dogear P90s. LP Juniors and related board, too. It's usually easy to see.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                Look up "soapbar" versus "dogear".

Pickguarded guitars like the SG classic have dogear P90s.
                I think you meant the other way around. Vintage style small guard Jr's use Dogear.

Classics are soapbar and are not mounted to the wood, they use a spacer bar under the pickguard, to mount to the pickguard.

Soapbar

Dog Ear

Here's the inside of one of my classics, notice no holes in the wood, and the sides drilled deeper to accommodate screws hanging down from he pickguard.

Here's another one of mine with pickguard on, notice the screw holes on the sides of the pickups?

Here's my small guard style, GOTW 67RI, it is wood mounted.

Last edited by TattooedCarrot; 08-09-2010, 04:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X