banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The quest for a new guitar. Decisions...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The quest for a new guitar. Decisions...

So as I mentioned in a thread a few moons ago, it's time to start looking for an axe to replace the MII Ibanez RG. I sold off my other RG that I never played, and saved up and last month finally got my tax return check. I've got a bit more that $400 to work with presently.

I've been looking at used Ibanez and Jackson pieces, as these seem to be the ones popping up most commonly in the configuration I'd prefer. Right now, there's an RG520QS on Craigslist and a couple on eBay, each around $400. My main concern is the difference in body woods. My RG5EX1 is basswood, and I'm running a JB8 in the bridge, and a demon in the neck. Mahogany is supposed to be even darker than Basswood. If I go with the RG520QS, I'm worried that I'd end up with a guitar that's too dark and sounds muddy, and necessitating a pickup change.

As far as Jacksons go, the DK2 seems to be popping up in my price range most often. The body is alder, but I doubt I'd say no to tighter lows and a bit more highs than basswood has to offer, as opposed to too much lows and not enough highs from Mahogany alone. The hardware's probably cheaper, and I might end up with the same problems I have now if I grab one with a cheap liscenced floyd. But, if the wood is good, I'd have less qualms about throwing nicer hardware on a Jackson than I would with my current Ibanez. This piece looks nice, but those pickups look like they're possibly P90s, and from the angle of the shot, I can't tell if it's a P90 in a humbucker rout, or a P90 rout that would need to be widened. If a maple fingerboard isn't going to make for too bright a change in attack from my current setup, there's also plenty of DK2Ms floating around as well.

Finally, there's the DIY route. Bodies, necks, hardware and electronics pop up on gear forum for sale sections, on eBay, on craigslist, all the time, and sometimes there's deals to be had. With some patience, I could snag a good body, neck, bridge, etc, and then assemble it myself. Undoubtably I'd spend more money and time before I had a ready to play guitar, but it would be my guitar with all the options I want from the get go instead of buying an axe that's almost there and then replacing it piece by piece. There seem to be some nice bodies for sale on eBay right now, like this one or this one, and there's plenty of necks for sale too.

I'd like some input on which route I should take and why, especially those that have experience with some of the guitars I've been considering.
    Originally posted by ratherdashing
    If you don't see the value of a good 1 watt tube amp, it probably means one or more of the following:

- You live out in the country
    - You hate your neighbours
    - You mistakenly believe that your big amp with the master volume at 0.5 sounds good
    - You love solid state amps
    - You don't actually play guitar
    - You kick puppies

Re: The quest for a new guitar. Decisions...

https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...=194907&page=2 try this bright and clear across the whole range
    I Build My own Guitars
    know duncan...know tone
    no duncan...no tone
    Originally posted by Warheart
    First problem right there! letting drummers write lyrics!

Comment

A Jackson is going to have a thicker neck than an Ibanez, if that makes a difference.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
      @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Based on your budget, It would be better for used market IMHO. Looking for individual parts also an option but most the time the and result tends to get more expensive. Take a look at craigslist and see what people are selling around your area. Go see the guitar on sale and try them out.

This DK2M on ebay hit my eye. A little expensive for a used one though. New ones used to go for 499 right before last Christmas.
        "We live thinking we will never die. We die thinking we had never lived. Cut it out." - Jason Becker

"The Only Thing That Is Constant Is Change" - Heraclitus

sigpicHouse of Jackson, Charvel, ESP, BC Rich, Dean etc.. Fans. Come and Join us!

Comment

You might find a good deal on a used, USA-made G&L Invader. Or look for one of the Tribute Series Invaders if your budget is really tight.

Other than that, the Ibanez instruments I own are all very nicely made.

Bill
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I am looking at the used market. There only new axes available for $4-500 are gonna be cheaper, entry-level stuff like my current one. That's all well and good, but in another couple years, I'll just end up having to replace it again. I might seem like I'm trying to jump the gun, but I would prefer a new axe sooner than later. I know would probably do well to wait and save up a few hundred dollars more so I have an even larger budget to work with and more options. But the longer I wait, the more work the RG5EX1s going to require to stay playable. It needs a fret dress right now. That's $100 dollars, which in my current financial situation, would have to come out of my new guitar savings. I get a new (to me) axe in good condition, I can set the RG5EX1 to the side and not have to worry about dressing frets or replacing a worn out tremolo immediately.
            If you don't see the value of a good 1 watt tube amp, it probably means one or more of the following:

- You mistakenly believe that your big amp with the master volume at 0.5 sounds good
            - You kick puppies

Comment

I guess what I'm using too damn many words to ask is this:

I'm gonna get a new guitar eventually. Would I do better to spend some money on repairs and maint to keep my current guitar playable, and hope it holds together long enough to save up enough money to jump straight to a good, $2k-$3k top line MIA, MIJ or custom piece? Or should I spend a little less money now to replace my current axe with a decent used MIJ or MIK piece that will be a step up in quality from what I have now and hopefully give me less trouble while I'm saving up for the high-end guitar?

- You kick puppies

Comment

High quality, low price.
                Dave Mustaine: How many of you can play guitar?
                Crowd: *screams*
                Dave Mustaine: How many of you can play guitar as well as I do?
                Crowd: *screams*
                Dave Mustaine: YOU LIE!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                X