NGD Strat Select

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NGD Strat Select

I think you have just got my Ideal strat.
    That is the business.
    It's a valve sporker... it sporks valves

Comment

I've always sorta wanted one but never stepped up to the plate. I'd probably give the stock pickups a chance for awhile. If I were to specifically buy pickups, I'd probably go for a tremspaced 59b or C5, then use this guitar as my first Duncan YJM test bed for the singles.
      Originally posted by Boogie Bill
      I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Yeah that sweet, I love the finish on it.....
        BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
        Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
        Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
        Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
        Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
        Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
        Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
        Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
        Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
        Gibson EBO

Comment

Strat Select???

I'd call it a "Strat SG" and put a P-90 in the neck.
          Originally Posted by IanBallard
          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

got the scns today
            about half way done
            this pic is with the neck scn in, the mid should be easy too, but
            the hummer must be taken apart !
            and scns have 3 conductors, green wire must be ground ?

Comment

Beautiful guitar!!
              I wish the headstock has matching color as body,though.

Is that roller nut over there?
              How does it work?
              Originally posted by GuitarDoc
              Don't take yourselves, or anything for that matter, too seriously. We're born, we live, then we die. All of us. Just the same.

Comment

Originally posted by marvelous_seven View Post
                Beautiful guitar!!
                I wish the headstock has matching color as body,though.

Is that roller nut over there?
                How does it work?
                I own that same strat. Roller nut is ingenious, not much of a tone sucker, and you can change string gauges up to 14 - 56 without damage. Never will you need another "re-nut" again. The only thing the LSR nut asks for is an occasional poot (small) of air to get anything out (ie: dust and particles) that got in.

To Crane, I have a question... how do the SCNs sound, and why did you have to take the HB apart? (My strat doesn't have SCNs) Also, what do you think of the mahogany / sapele vs. the maple top / alder your amdlx has?

Jason
                <--- these guys fight, so we can enjoy large tracts of land

Comment

Well I always start off with a caveat - I'm new at this.

The Tex Mex pups in the select were 'tinny' - lots of treble that's why I decided to take 'em out.
                  I am playing through a Fender SCXD with a 10" Rajin' Cajun.
                  The scns in my AmDlx - I am very happy with. (this is the best guitar I ever owned)
                  The scns have less bottom end, and a bit more treble in the select than the AmDlx.
                  They are IMHO far superior to the Tex Mex though. Lots of quack in positions 2 and 4, and all 5 positions are distinct. The S1 is much more useful on the select than the AmDlx - it fattens up the sound which I was hoping to get out of the select to begin with.
                  I do not understand why the mahogany body sounds brighter than the alder and I have tested it in clean and dsp channels. One other note - I have the scns on the select backed away from the strings pretty far because I was getting way too much attack - I could hear every contact with the pick.

I learned something - the Duncans are reverse polarity to the scns, and I had to open the guitar up again to swap 2 wires. I took a pic if anyone needs help.

I had to take apart both bridges because the Duncan AP2 needed the Fender bridge pick up plate (with the 3 adjusting screws). And the Duncan pole pieces were about 1" long and stuck through the pick up (would be impossible to get the back plate on like this) ! The fender poles are about half the length.

The A2Pro in the bridge is nice, a tiny bit too much mids for me, but I don't think I will pursue buying a DH1.

I would like to get more bottom end out of the select, but for now I am going to leave the guitar as it is. (started to wonder if the weight had anything to do with it because the AmDlx is heavier than any strat I have ever owned).
                  In the near future I plan on focusing more on the amp end:
                  1. buying a Bad Monkey and using the clean channel - because I think the dsp of the amp is introducing more highs / treble.
                  2. building a cabinet for the SCXD and using a 12" speaker - muhahahahaha

Comment

Crane:

Texmex: agreed, HAED them.

Amp: AC4TV 1x10

The mahogany may have a tighter porage than normal. This can yield brightness. The key though is to compensate for that. My select is quite dark. If i put an A2Pro in it, it'd sound like gumbo. Duncan pole pieces that are long mean you may have bought the SH version and not the TB version which has short legs for Strat / strat-style guitars (and soloists). The DH-1 reminds me of an A2 version of the JB pickups, but it's not in the mahog select for a reason... most mahogs are VERY bassy relative to most strats.

I would try, if you're getting too much mids, a Custom 5 and getting an A8 for the bridge, or a Brobucker if you can spring $160 and shipping. As for the weight, it can... but it would have to be VERY dense wood with VERY large pores. Large pores tend to darken the sound, whereas tight-pored wood like ash has a bright and tight sound.

I personally don't like S-1, De S-1'd my strat and turned it effectively into a mahogany lone-star strat. I'm entertaining putting in antiquities to further the "vintage fat strat" motif I'm after.

Jason
                    <--- these guys fight, so we can enjoy large tracts of land

Comment

ganzo, how are the ssls and brobucker ? can you compare them tone wise to scns ?

Heres a recent pic with select done -

Comment

Working...
                      X