Amp Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Amp Recommendations

Hey guys I'm starting to consider for a small tube amp combo to maybe get for christmas. I have been yearning for that genuine tube sound for awhile and although my little Behringer is cool for recording it just can't replicate tube tone.

What I'm looking for is a 1X12 combo in the 15-30 watt range or perhaps 50 watts with an attenuator, that can have decent cleans (prolly won't get great cleans w/o more headroom) and also muster some thick, killer crunch. However, price is a major issue, if it wasn't I would already have a Mesa Mark IV combo and wouldn't be asking this question. Basically my limit is $600-700. I have heard good things about the Peavey Classics but wasn't sure if they have enough gain for what I'm looking for.
    Any and all recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Lee
    Looking to Purchase:
    Axe-FX Ultra
    ART SLA2
    Mesa Boogie 2X12
    PRS Tremonti
    PRS Singlecut, SC245 or SC250
    Edwards Les Paul Custom
    Gibson Explorer
    Fender Stratocaster
    Fender Telecaster

Re: Amp Recommendations

Also does anyone have any comments on the Ashdown Fallen Angel 40?
    Looking to Purchase:
    Axe-FX Ultra
    ART SLA2
    Mesa Boogie 2X12
    PRS Tremonti
    PRS Singlecut, SC245 or SC250
    Edwards Les Paul Custom
    Gibson Explorer
    Fender Stratocaster
    Fender Telecaster

Comment

I really like the Marshall DSL 40. The cleans are the best ive heard from a marshall, and the crunch can get as brutal as you like on the boost channel.
      "I believe the truth is not told between 9 and 5." - Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Fender Hot Rod Deluxe. 40 watts, 1X12 8 ohm, 3 channels, two inputs, foot switchable (included), effects loop, extension speaker jack. You can usually find used ones in mint condition on eBay from $350 to $450. They run about $550 brand new.

There's a buttload of info on this amp HERE
        ~Sid

"If you play a Nickelback song backwards you'll hear messages from the devil. Even worse, if you play it forward you'll hear Nickelback." ~David Grohl

Comment

I think you'd like those Ashdowns. I haven't personally played on one, but they have a few at a local boutique store that sells very expensive amps, and they tend to like the Ashdowns because they offer great clean and gain channels for reasonably lower money. Try and find a dealer. The Traynor Custom Valve 40 might be another one of interest, which offers what you're looking for.
          Originally posted by Boogie Bill
          I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

A Peavey Classic 30 or 50 might be worth a look for ya. Can usually be scored between $300-500 on the used market.
            -Alex

*Proud Owner and Player of Guage guitars, Warmoth guitars, and Orange amps*

Originally posted by HamerPlyr
            I'm already wearing the costume, and Fredericks of Hollywood on the corset and also on the panties, which, of course, have the "convenience crotch".

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser
              I think you'd like those Ashdowns. I haven't personally played on one, but they have a few at a local boutique store that sells very expensive amps, and they tend to like the Ashdowns because they offer great clean and gain channels for reasonably lower money. Try and find a dealer. The Traynor Custom Valve 40 might be another one of interest, which offers what you're looking for.
              Ashdown is supposedly the new Hiwatt, in terms of build quality.

Comment

Laney VC-30 is my cup of tea
                100% Bass player

Comment

Originally posted by Lee Bob
                  What I'm looking for is a 1X12 combo in the 15-30 watt range or perhaps 50 watts with an attenuator, that can have decent cleans (prolly won't get great cleans w/o more headroom) and also muster some thick, killer crunch.

Originally posted by Fatty
                  A Peavey Classic 30 or 50 might be worth a look for ya. Can usually be scored between $300-500 on the used market.
                  Thick, killer crunch on a Classic 30? I don't think so ...
                  Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                  My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I really need to brush up on my tone descriptions, I need sound samples of "thick," "creamy," "loose bottom," and "tight bottom."
                    I get to go to a lot of overseas places, like Canada.
                    -Britney Spears

Comment

Originally posted by ankalar
                      I really need to brush up on my tone descriptions, I need sound samples of "thick," "creamy," "loose bottom," and "tight bottom."
                      Thick + Creamy = Carlos Santana (and potato soup)
                      Loose Bottom = Zakk's detuned guitar sound (and Mimi from the Drew Carey show)
                      Tight Bottom = Most old school rock tones, like AC/DC (and any super model you can think of)
                      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by Thurisarz
                        Laney VC-30 is my cup of tea
                        I've got a Laney VC-30 1x12 for sale & the cleans are fantastic, but "thick, killer crunch" ??? Not without a pedal...

It truly is a poor mans Vox & with the proper tubes, you can get some great footswitchable overdrive out of it, but for any type of metal, I'd look elsewhere.

My personal opinion though is you can make a good clean amp crunchy with a pedal, but you can't make a crunchy amp nice & clean. With that, you might wanna consider a Rivera for the best of both worlds.

Other than that, I'd grab a Fender, Peavey.....Laney VC30 1x12 ...& a good distortion pedal, like the Line 6 Distortion Modeller (the gold one) for that killer crunch!!!

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                        Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                        FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                        http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

I had a Fender Hot Rod DeVille and now own the Peavey Classic 30. The Peavey gets great metal crunch with hot pickups. It doesn't do the tuned down nu metal stuff like a Randall would in that price range, but it's tube tone that WILL do 80's metal/shred. I have Groove tubes in mine, using the stock speaker(for now) and sometimes a 2x12 extension cab. The Peavey also does blues well, and the cleans are nice IMO. Get one used on Ebay for $300. The Fender's overdrive never did it for me. No hard rock/metal there at all. Ok for blues. Couldn't tell ya about any other amps. I did demo the Marshall DSL 40 at Guitar Center, but for so much more than the Peavey, I wasn't that impressed. Course, I didn't spend that much time with it. Hope this helps!
                          -Gibson LP & SG, G&L Legacy HB
                          -1977 Marshall JMP 2204, Fargen Townhouse 5w

Comment

well, depends on how important cleans are to you

a couple hundred bucks can get you some good drive out of a hrdx, and the cleans are excellent, typical american fendery cleans

but its gonna take a lot more than a couple hundred to get them out of a peavey, but you'll have some nice drive
                            Originally posted by gibson175
                            metal zones are for pussies.

Comment

Working...
                            X