No announcement yet.

Using a compressor to increase sustain?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a compressor to increase sustain?

I've sometimes seen remarks saying that you can increase sustain using a compressor.
    What sort of settings are people talking about and what is the result, does it work only with cleans or is it good with tube overdrive too?
    I've only used a compressor once (clean) to get a honky tone from a Telecaster for a mate of mine and I just borrowed the unit and used it as it was.

Thanks
    Last edited by msplines; 11-04-2004, 06:15 AM. Reason: another thread already touches on some questions

Re: Using a compressor to increase sustain?

There is currently another thread that addresses this same subject ... post your Q there
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

I have one for sale.... if you wanna try.
      Edwards Jimmy Page, Fender AmDlx Strat, PRS CE24, Edwards E-FV, AGILE Valkyrie Double-neck, Ibanez EP9. Metroamp 50w, Fender SFSR, Blackstar HT40 VP

Comment

I used the Aphex punch factory...

Let me tell you that it is helping a lot!!!

I play Power Metal (www.icewind.ca) so I used a lot of distortion...

My compressor is always on... If you set it right, you can really get the hell out of this little box!!!

For the sustain, that's true!!! Maybe not a "5 hours" sustain, but you can see a little difference!!!

Let me tell you that if my PF broke or something i'll get a brand new one without hesitation!!!

Jay
        Guitar :

A customized Ibanez S1620FBNT Prestige 2003

Pickups :

Bridge -> George Lynch Screamin' Deamon TB
        Neck -> Duncan Distortion HB

Style : Melodic Power Metal

Band : www.icewind.ca

Comment

my compressor has three controls. gain, tone, and sustain.

turn the sustain up all the way and youll get as much sustain as you want. clean youll get a nice sustain, dirty you can hold a note forever

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy
            my compressor has three controls. gain, tone, and sustain.

turn the sustain up all the way and youll get as much sustain as you want. clean youll get a nice sustain, dirty you can hold a note forever
            Is it a compressor and boost combined then, how do you control the degree of compression and the threshold settings?
            Last edited by msplines; 11-04-2004, 03:09 PM. Reason: Just read the other thread

Comment

Yeah, you can use a compressor to increase sustain.

Sorry if the following is review. . .
              The guitar compressors are more like "companders" (compressor expanders). They bring down the level of really hot signals and boost the level of quiet signals. This can give you the impression that the signal is played at a certain volume for a longer period of time than the guitar does when the pedal is off. As the string's vibration naturally decays and the sound level decreases, the pedal then increases the gain to try and keep the heard signal at the same level as the first attack. The greater the level of compression, the more the original signal is squished, and as it get's quieter, the more the quiet signal is made louder. The 2 knob "Dyna Comp" type pedals do all that (among other things) with one knob. The trade off ofr the increased sustain is that your expressive dynamics tend to get shrunk down to one volume level. Your quieter pick attacks are just about as loud as your heaviest pick attacks.

In my setup, I run 2 compressors, one right after the other (hope this doesn't confuse the issue for you). The first one in the chain is set to medium compression/sustain and no volume boost. The second one in the chain is set up for the maximum amount of volume boost the pedal can give and light compression/sustain (sort of like a clean boost pedal with just a bit of compression added to it).

The second one in the chain get's used to increase the drive of my overdrive pedals and still give me pretty good dynamics (not a lot of squishing the singnal, but a bit more sustain). I can play rhythm and light leads with it. I then pop in the first compressor which does compress the signal a good amount, and the 2 together give me a gain boost and pretty long sustain with a minimum of noise from either pedal. I can then set the overdrive pedal's gain to a pretty low level. This gives me light crunch from the OD pedal, the second compressor gives me a bit more crunch and a bit more sustain; the first compressor in my chain gives me a lot more sustain (combined with the second one in the chain which is already boosting the level of my signal and compressing it a bit).

Right now, on my main pedalboard, I'm running a Boss CS3 (higher compression, no volume boost) into a Marshall ED-1 Compressor (lower compression, volume boost).

On a second smaller pedalboard, I'm running another Marshall ED-1 Compressor (higher compression, no volume boost) Barber TonePress (lower compression, volume boost).

Though they sound pretty different, the basic effect is the same.

Brett
              Hamer XT Sunburst Archtop Flame- Phat Cats; Hamer Sunburst Archtop Quilted- Jazz(n)/Pearly Gates(b); Brian Moore i21 - Alnico 2 Pro(n)/Pearly Gates(b); Tex Mex Strat - Classic Stack(n)/Lil' 59(b); Carvin DC135T - used oval HotRails(n)/CustomCustom(b); '68 Gibson ES-335 - Jazz(b); RI Fender Bass VI (bari-electric Hot Rails bridge?); Standard Tele-Ash(SE)pickups?

Comment

OK, that's what I was after - but the use of 2 compressors is intrigueing, seems like a must unless one buys a ready made rack type with all that = loadsamoney.
                Thanks everyone.

Comment

compressor sustainors = more buzzing at hi gain.
                  Too much for me...

Comment

Originally posted by Grandor
                    compressor sustainors = more buzzing at hi gain.
                    Too much for me...
                    Yeah, I agree. I was surprised the first time I turned down the gain and added a compressor. . . less noise and a lot closer to what I was trying to acheive. . .

Brett
                    Hamer XT Sunburst Archtop Flame- Phat Cats; Hamer Sunburst Archtop Quilted- Jazz(n)/Pearly Gates(b); Brian Moore i21 - Alnico 2 Pro(n)/Pearly Gates(b); Tex Mex Strat - Classic Stack(n)/Lil' 59(b); Carvin DC135T - used oval HotRails(n)/CustomCustom(b); '68 Gibson ES-335 - Jazz(b); RI Fender Bass VI (bari-electric Hot Rails bridge?); Standard Tele-Ash(SE)pickups?

Comment

Working...
                    X