Setting up to Standard B.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up to Standard B.

hi hi, you've guessed it, i want to downtune my guitar to B standard, 2.5 steps down, and to do so i'll have to change my strings to avoid the avoidable-if-done-correctly 'flubbleblubbleblub'.

the set i have now on is the heavy top light bottom ernie ball set, 10-52, on my 25.5" set neck string-through body guitar. this tension is pretty much ideal for me on standard E tuning and i'd like to recreate this amount of string tension on a standard B tuning. i was thinking about switching to elixir for their Baritone set (it's the only available set that has a thick enough string for a low B in the parts where i live) but the rest of the set might be a bit too unbalanced and bleh meh, so i decided to mix it with the Heavy set.

so here are the string sets for now :

E B G D A E B
    .010 .013 .017 .030 .042 .052 <- current set

.012 .016 .024 .032 .042 .052 <- elixir heavy set
    .012 .016 .022 .038 .052 .068 <- elixir baritone set

.012 .016 .032 .042 .052 .068 <- mixed elixir set for B standard

three notes :
    . the .024 G string of the elixir heavy set is wound. i won't use it.
    . the D string tuned down to G has to be wound. right ?
    . not to forget the high B string will be tuned down to F# and not G.

so here it is. does that mixed string set seem balanced to you ? how would they feel compared to my older set of strings, tension wise ? i'm also a little concerned of the .012 and .016 strings tuned to B and F# respectively, how loose would they feel compared to the rest of the set and to the older strings.

any sort of input and suggestions would also be welcome. thanks in advance !
    Last edited by chassless; 10-09-2010, 01:09 AM.

Re: Setting up to Standard B.

Kenny Hickey of Type O Negative tunes B,E,A,D,F#,B and used Dean Markley Blue Steel light top heavy bottom 10-52 when playing a SG or Fernandes with a Gibson scale length (later he switched to a Schecter with a long scale)
    "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

that's fairly loose to my taste. i can barely stand the 10-52 set on D standard.

Comment

i use .013-.068 d'addarios for my SG tuned to C standard

should be fine for what you're doing
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Anything below C# and I would strongly consider getting something with a longer scale length. My next build is going to be a Warmoth or USACG baritone to use in B standard.
          "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Comment

Originally posted by SabbathFan0220 View Post
            Anything below C# and I would strongly consider getting something with a longer scale length. My next build is going to be a Warmoth or USACG baritone to use in B standard.
            I partially agree with you, but it depends on your style. For me bends don't feel the same on a baritone, and some of my playing can't transfer as the frets become too far apart. Tons of people use standard scale for drop B and drop A style playing so it can definitely be done. Get a decent heavy set of strings, and set your guitar up for that tuning and it should be fine.

Comment

i use .013-.068 d'addarios for my SG tuned to C standard

should be fine for what you're doing
              i was hoping so, thanks ! but just one thing, do you think the highest string of the mixed set are a little too thin compared to the rest ?

it's not really a good time for me to get myself a new guitar. besides, i don't think i could find a baritone electric guitar around these parts, at least not easily. someday, i'll eventually get another guitar for different tunings.

EDIT: with this post, i'm a senior member ! woohoo !
              Last edited by chassless; 10-09-2010, 03:54 PM. Reason: partay !

Comment

I use 10-58 to drop C in my 25.5" strat and the low strings still feel a bit loose to my taste,I guess 12-68 is good enough for standard B (13 if you don't play much bendings or leads)
                Originally posted by GuitarDoc
                Don't take yourselves, or anything for that matter, too seriously. We're born, we live, then we die. All of us. Just the same.

Comment

i like try the dr drop down tunes 13-65 with a 10 on top

Comment

Haven't read everyone else's replies yet, so I apologize if this has been already stated, but I think a wound G string helps. I love Type O Negative. I took a pack of strings for 7 string guitar, gauge 11, and just threw out the high e string. So it actually made it like a 13 gauge string set with a wound G... then set up my guitar to compensate for the low tuning.

I do think the wound G is very helpful.

I used a Jackson SLSMG with a pair of Duncan Full Shreds and also a Gibson Gothic with a beefy neck for this. Both worked for my needs. The guitar guys at my store gave me a funny look at first, though, haha.

Kenny Hickey used to use a short Fernandes scale 24.75, but switched to a 25.5 customized Schecter Blackjack a few years ago.

Comment

Why not just look into a Baritone? These guitars are made to be tuned that low!

This looks nice & The Gretch DuoJet Baritone is another cool guitar

Shop the best selection of popular guitars: &#9989; guaranteed low price, &#9989; free shipping, &#9989; 0% financing, &#9989; 8% back in rewards.
                      Last edited by Bludave; 10-11-2010, 07:57 AM.
                      "So you will never have to listen to Surf music again" James Marshall Hendrix
                      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix

Comment

^ Maybe he wants to simulate 7-string guitar without the high E
                        Originally posted by GuitarDoc
                        Don't take yourselves, or anything for that matter, too seriously. We're born, we live, then we die. All of us. Just the same.

Comment

no no, i want the F# indeed. forget what i posted up there it's just a mistake.
                          thank you all for the info ! i just have one last question though, is it too big of a jump from 16 to 32 or is it balanced ?

Comment

FWIW I setup a reverse headstock Tele for B-standard some time ago and getting something close to "proper" tension has been a bit of a challenge to say the least. FWIW at E standard I use 10-46 on the 25.5" scales and .11-52 with Les Pauls.

I started off with a set of random gauged strings on the BariTele to see if the experiment was at least plausible, which it was. Intonation was oK but the tension on the low strings (reverse headstock) was WAY too low and overall a little too goofy. Next up was a proper set of 13-56 and again, the low strings haven't had nearly enough tension on them... to the point where its floopy and tuning issues abound if I dig in hard, but its workable so long as I don't wail on it too much.

Several weeks ago I grabbed a few sets of actual baritone strings, gauge 14-68 or so. Bottom might be a little lighter then 68 but not by much. Hopefully that's the cure for the floppy strings & pitch ills but I haven't had a chance to put 'em on yet since I also want to do some electronic work while its on the bench.

Bottom line for me is that heavier seems to be better. I'd probably go with the straight up Baritone set and see where that puts things...
                            J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                            mixer|producer|recordist
                            mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                            All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

Working...
                            X