Talk to me about Explorers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Talk to me about Explorers

i am jonesing for an explorer pretty bad, but i dont know anything about them. anyone here play one?

Re: Talk to me about Explorers

I have a hamer , or do you mean only Gibson?
    the Hamer is a great guitar

Comment

sorry I'm new ...pic or it didn't happen

Comment

Explorers to me are hit or miss. I like mine, although it's not a Gibson. I have an '80 Dean Z Standard that's very comfortable to play and it responds very well. The look like they should be awkward to play, but I've always liked the way my right arm rests on it.
        Last edited by Hellion; 10-11-2010, 11:02 AM.
        www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

love the hamer. i like the gibson, epiphone, hamer, type explorers, but am open to others. i just dont know their tonal characteristics, weight balance, etc. the explorer is one guitar that i never payed attention to, but for some reason i want one.

Comment

I love mine

my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

Does it stay in tune???

Comment

I have a Gibson and Love it! Balances great, has a nice fat tone and plays amazing.. Plus, IMO, looks cool!
                Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

how do explorers differ from les pauls?

Comment

I sold mine mostly because the hand positions are too thrown off due to the body shape.

Also, my particular Gibson had a very distinctive "D" shape with an almost flat back which wasn't to my liking.

Comment

Diff tween Explorers and LPs:
                      obviously, the shape!!

The tone.. for awhile, I had an expl, LP and SG.. the Explorer fit right between them tone wise.. the Lp being the darkest. the explorers have a nice middy bark.

mine is very alive and vibrates in my hands.. Its great.. Neck is thin and fast and upper access is better than LPs. Its really a matter of whether you like the shape or not. They are alittle cumbersome as the case is huge and the stick out when you turn.. Otherwise, they are heavenly!

Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Here is a recent thread full of some Badass No MoFo "Explorers". Life is Good and Explorers make it just a lil sweeter.....

An Explorer Custom build, Mighty Hamer Daytona Mite, a 1979/80 Mighty Mite Explorer body with a '93 Hamer USA Daytona neck.....

Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                        Guitar to sound output:
                        Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

I agree, explorers are in between an SG and LP, personally I think the 76 RI's play better than the majority of the les pauls I've tried. I had a white one for a while that was killer.
                          Last edited by apj; 10-12-2010, 10:36 AM.

Comment

I have a slammer(made by hamer because im cheap :P) explorer and it plays awesome. I have a bill lawerance xl-500 in it and it screams and its chunky as all hell.

everyone needs an explorer
                            88-89 Fender HM Strat(Dimarzio pickups)
                            Fender Blacktop Jaguar(JB/Jazz)
                            Guitar>TU-2>Ernie Ball Volume Pedal>Joyo Octave Fuzz>SD-1>Small Stone Phaser>Amp(Effects loop>DD-7>DD-20>Holy Grail)
                            Vox NightTrain 50.
                            My Band

Comment

Originally posted by BTMN View Post
                              That's one hell of an explorer!

Comment

Working...
                              X