I bought a USA Hamer, what a deal!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought a USA Hamer, what a deal!!!

Hey all... Well I had traded my McCarty to a forum bro for an LP Custom but then had to sell the Custom to make some ends meet under a time crunch. Fortunately, money balanced back out and I set off on picking myself up some sort of 24 3/4 scale set neck non tremolo guitar. Gibson-ish to the say the least.

I found an LP Supreme that blew my mind, but it was freaking $2,900, that just wasn't sensable for me. I looked some more and found a Hamer Studio Gatsso at GC, used for $800.

I checked it out, put it on lay away and went back last night for one final try and I took it home. I know I can not see well enough to be the best measurer for this, but I think it is dead mint. I felt no chips or dings any where on the guitar and it gets me right at ball park of the Supreme tone. Going from the 9s that are currently on it to 10-46 or 11-49s will really beefen up the tone too, which is already quite thick and sustaining.

The neck joint on this thing is also amazingbetter than any PRS or Gibson I have tried, although I have not tried a pre 1995 PRS.

It reminds me of my McCarty, but slightly tweaked in many areas and the fret acess is killer on this thing. For $800, you can not go wrong, at all. I may have to hunt down more used Hamers in the future!

The 59s also sound great, though I may change out the bridge for something a little heavier/hotter... either a brobucker or C5.
    Mike Lipe Virtuoso #009
    Ibanez RG1570 Custom
    PRS McCarty STD
    '71 Gibson SG Custom
    Bogner Alchemist 2x12
    Vox AD15VT

Re: I bought a USA Hamer, what a deal!!!

Wow, congratulations ! I have a Studio Custom, and Hamer seems to be everything I'd ever heard about them and more. Do you know what year it was made?

Mine had the 59 pair, and they sounded great, but i replaced them with hybrids .... Custom/59 bridge and 59/Jazz neck, both Alnico 5s. they lifted the guitar to another level again ... i think the guitars have so much quality, character and resonance that the better the pickup, the more the guitar will give you. I think the hybrids are close to how a set of scatterwound pickups would sound in my guitar .... really three-dimesional and detailed, but not in a sterile way. I often just play clean and sparse, to simply listen to how beautiful it is.

Man i hope your new baby brings you a great deal of happiness. I don't think you'll find anything better for any amount of money. Enjoy it in good health !
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Sounds like an Awesome buy! Congrats! put up some pics if ya can. Im not familiar with that model..
      Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

i have two hamers and i want more. they are basically the only production guitars that i lust after

Comment

Look for used ones from the end 70ies to 80ies. They are a bargain.
          I get the feeling the A8 will blow your skirt up more so - Edgecrusher

Smooth trades with Jerryjg, ArtieToo, Theodie, Micah, trevorus, Pierre, pzaxtl, damian1122, Thames, Diocletian, Kevinabb, Fakiekid, oilpit, checo, BachToRock, majewsky, joyouswolf, Koreth, Pontiac Jack, Jeff_H

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
            i have two hamers and i want more. they are basically the only production guitars that i lust after
            yeah, my dream guitar is a standard with a black or purple stained quilt top...
            Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

i want a tobacco burst monaco elite and jazzburst monaco superpro

Comment

Nice score man...Congratulations!!

Comment

MMMM Hamer Goood!!! Congrats on your's! Photos please?
                  Aint no pro but I know what I like....
                  Guitar to sound output:
                  Hamer, Dean, or Various, Levy's straps, Dunlop straplock/picks, Daddarrio strings 10-46, Duncan, Dimarzio, Mogami, Monster, MojoDrive pedal on occasion, Marshall, Crate, Vox, Mesa Boogie, Black Shadow Celestions, Eminence,..

Comment

Congrats!

I've been thru several Hamers. All of them were GREAT guitars.
                    I currently have a Hamer Artist 25th Anniversary Model.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      i want a tobacco burst monaco elite and jazzburst monaco superpro
                      I want one of each also. At nearly $3k each, it's going to be a while though.
                      My Sound Clips

Comment

Working...
                      X