No announcement yet.

Which Gibson SG's are the ones to get?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Which Gibson SG's are the ones to get?

'61 reissues and SG Specials with P90's are my favs.
    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

I have two 61' Reissues and I like them alot........
      Only you can decide what "good" sounds like!
      "I learned a long time ago that one note can go a long way if it's the right one, and it will whip the guy with twenty quick notes." ~Les Paul

Comment

Originally posted by grumptruck
        Iommi changed the world with two notes.
        ??

the I and V?
        - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
        Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
        The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Out of the current production, the 61' re-issues are my favorite. The Classic is great, too.

Comment

White ones are the shizz.

60s Juniors are usually decently priced for vintage guitars of the time (if you can live with a single pup). Long neck tenon + single P90 = screamer.
            Originally posted by dominus
            Your rant would sound better with an A8 magnet, it'll beef it up some without sacrificing some of the whine.

Comment

I like everything about the 61 Reissue except for the slim tapered 60's neck. If it had a regular 50's C neck, it'd be perfect for my taste.

Normally, I prefer the 50's neck Standard the most, especially if it's light and toneful.

One reason I love my SG Diablo is because of it's 50's 24 fret neck, which is honestly the best neck I've ever owned, out of around 120 guitars. Also, having the volume knob where a strat's is positioned is a huge plus. It's carved top is something SG's should have always had...it looks so much more elegant.

Last edited by Gearjoneser; 10-15-2010, 12:16 AM.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Any with P-90's.
                Originally Posted by IanBallard
                Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

I would suggest staying away from the faded ones. I have to reason to say that other than I think they look cheap

I've played early 70's ones (owned one actually) and it had a cool vibe but was odd feeling, with an odd neck and headstock angle that made the strings pop up of the nut. I ended up trading it for a '96 standard which I love.

I NEED a P-90 one though.

Comment

Don't mailorder a faded one. While there are some that sound good and many that play great the finish looks very -well- unfinished. See one in person.

The SG std it is nice except for the batwing pickguard, which also make pickup changes a pain. If the money is there I'd go for a 61 RI.

Greco and Burny also made SGs but actual MIJ is rare. Most of what is sold on Ebay is made in Korea but since it's hard to tell the prices are pretty high for MIK.

Comment

61RI has always been my favorite.

And while I love the sound of P90's in an SG, for some reason they sound better when other people play them - I guess they're just not my sound.

Comment

Originally posted by ricc View Post
                        I've had Standards, a 70s deluxe and Faded Specials and honestly, I like them all. I've played a Classic with P90s and loved the sound but the setup was terrible (not that that would put me off) and I'd love to try a 61 reissue - I hear that those are the best, like I said though, I haven't played one.
                        try the '61 reissue muddy neck and a thin bridge for pickups. And a very rough rosewood fretboard.

Comment

Originally posted by oilpit View Post
                          The ones from the 70's have the neck pickup right up against the neck, as opposed to the alternative which is about a half inch away from the neck...and that bothers me, a lot.

So an old one is the only SG I would even consider, even then...why not just play a Les Paul like a real man?
                          Here is a story you will find very interesting. My guitar teacher is in a few bands right now. But at least 1 is on hiatus because the other guitarist in the band f****d up his back. And guess, what guitar he was playing? If you chose A) Gibson Les Paul you are correct.

Comment

Originally posted by FuseG4 View Post
                            the white ones LOL
                            i dunno the cherry ones never looked right to me
                            LOL! I like the whites ones too!
                            BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
                            Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
                            Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
                            Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
                            Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
                            Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
                            Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
                            Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
                            Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
                            Gibson EBO

Comment

I have to dissent on the Classic. The one I got from AMS a few years ago was crap. Drippy paint, lateral bandsaw marks on the body showing clear through the finish, alignment problems, etc., etc., etc. Rough all over. I think this run might have been seconds for a sale, though they were nominally A-stock.

I would have sent it back for exchange, but there were no more.

I rectified most of the QC problems but can't warm up to it. The neck is pretty stout, almost exactly .5" bigger in circumference at the 12th fret than the Telecasters I usually play, and though that doesn't sound like much, it feels huge. The sound lacks complexity, but has good sustain.

It doesn't have neck dive, which is about all I can say in its favor.

TRY BEFORE YOU BUY on these. That goes for any Gibson, though.
                              You all became so much smarter and more mature when I turned off sigs and avatars! Wow, it's like magic!
                              DATA, NOT DISCUSSION

Comment

Working...
                              X