banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Capo vs Nitro Finish (which ones are safe?)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Capo vs Nitro Finish (which ones are safe?)

Hey brothers,

Forget my newbness once more, but I come for advice that will seem obvious to some of you.

I have never been the type of player to use Capos. Never had the need for them, but now my situation is changing, and I will be teaching private lessons soon. I'm going to be teaching songs that need capo, and I want to start exploring with one.

The circumstances : I play a Les Paul Traditional, finished in nitro. I don't want to hurt the neck with a capo that might attack the finish. On the flip side, I want something that is easy to move. I am a big fan of the idea of a ''clamp'' capo.

The question : What do you recommend? Bonus points if you have used it on your own guitar with nitro, mega bonus if you have used it on a Les Paul with a 50s shape neck, lol.

Cheers bros!
    - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Re: Capo vs Nitro Finish (which ones are safe?)

Now this could be tricky. Kyser do make a nitro friendly capo, although I'm told that they don't seem to export them to the US. I've used a Kyser (just the one as well) since 1994 and never had a marking problem.
    "If anyone at my funeral has a long face, I'll never speak to him again." ~ Stan Laurel

Comment

I use Shubb capos. They are adjustable, so the Standard or Deluxe model should work well. However, it's not a capo you slide from one fret to the next.

You might want to try Greg Bennett's Glider capo; that might fit your needs.

I don't think any of the capos on the market will cause problems with the finish, though an NCL finish will wear off where something is rubbed against it. I would certainly remove the capo when not in use, and never leave it on the guitar for long periods of time, or when it's in the case. Dittos for straps--I always take mine off and put it in the pocket, away from the finish of the guitar.

Bill
      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Worst comes to worst, just wrap the bottom part of your capo with a rag to keep the rubber off the finish when you're using it. Might be a bit of a pain, but if it keeps your guitar looking beautiful . . .
        Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
        This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

POI:

Kyser Quick Change = leaves marks on Nitro.

My Guild has permanent marks on the headstock from keeping the Kyser on there
          my vinyl record collection | updated 11 August 2015

Comment

I've been reading around, and the Shubb seems to be widely accepted as optimal for this situation.

I don't care about marks on the headstock, but the back of the neck affects playability, so I don't want marks there.

Thanks guys!
            - Gibson CS ES339 - Gibson Les Paul Trad - Gibson J-200 Standard - Fender Hwy1 Strat - Gibson Captain Kirk Douglas SG - Takamine E-series Acoustic - Fender Blues Deluxe - Fender Excelsior -

Comment

Paige is another brand to look into...and I actually prefer the way a Paige fastens over the Shubb.

As a ringing endorsement for how good they are on nitro, Tony Rice uses one on a 1947 (?) Martin.
              - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
              Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
              The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

Working...
              X