Charvel Custom Shop Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charvel Custom Shop Question

Lets say I had a Charvel production model San Dimas in black. It has the FR trem, quartersawn one piece compound radius neck, Duncan pickups, etc... Then let's say I had the exact same thing but custom shop. They both look the same except the other one has "custom shop" printed on the headstock.

The price difference between the two is about $1,000. My question is whether the custom shop is superior to the exact same production model?

Re: Charvel Custom Shop Question

i can answer this since i own quite a few charvels both custom shop, production model and mutt using production model necks and neck plates.

the wood is better quality, lighter weight, less pieces used in the body of the customs (2pc vs 3pc). the neck shaping is finessed by hand not just CNC, you can feel that in the transition to the heel, the headstock and in the shoulders (i do this to all my pro-mod necks to make them feel more like my customs). more attention is paid to the fingerboard edge giving it a bit more of a comfortable roll on the customs vs the pro-mods which have a roll but it's not as finessed. the fret work is done better with more attention paid to the dressing and leveling (again i do this to my pro-mods to make them more equal). the neck shape is different (you can also specify a custom shape with a custom shop if you wanted to) most customs are a bit thinner since they are hand shaped a bit after they come off the CNC. the fingerboard radius on the custom shops is a much more accurate to 12-16" compound where all the pro-mods are closer to 12-14" (i had 4 pro mods and a custom scanned on a plek which is how i found this out).

the neck pocket angles and depths are different where the production models float the floyd way off the body on a custom shop in most cases is dive only resting on the body unless specified otherwise by the person ordering it. some customs i've played do float a bit but much less than the pro-mods.

the hardware is of better quality, german made floyd on the custom vs korean on the pro-mod. gotoh or schaller tuners vs cheaper grover. brass strap buttons and knobs over cheap sharp edge meat tenderizer knobs and dunlop strap locks (not a fan of them myself but that's personal). the neck plates while they look the same, the custom shop ones are of a much better quality and are less prone to bending when they're tightened down real snug. even the brushed aluminum control cavity covers are of a higher quality on the custom shop models.

electronics on the customs vs pro-mods are similar in terms of duncans and dimarzios but the pots are of better quality on the customs, much easier to turn with a better taper.

so there's a BIG difference if you know what to look for.

-Mike
    Last edited by XSSIVE; 10-14-2010, 10:57 AM.
    www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by XSSIVE View Post
      so there's a BIG difference if you know what to look for.

-Mike
      Most of us don't, so thanks Mike. That said, I have two Pro Mods and I think they're better than any super-Strats I used back in my 80s hair band days. I enjoy playing them more than any other guitars I own now too, I never want to put them down. I can't believe that I, personally, would enjoy a guitar even more if I paid another $1k for it. YMMV
      Death Or Glory - Who Dares Wins

Comment

Thanks that is some great information. I did not know there was a difference in the Floyd rose and necks.

Comment

Wow i knew there would be a difference but not that many! anyway i am going to order a CS within the next few weeks. i want a total retro charvel,one bucker,one knob(dont know if i will get a graphic?) brass V trem and a custom to my spec's neck profile.
          finding the old originals is not easy,cheap,or sometimes trustworthy so i decided to go CS and see what i think of it compared to my 81.
          from what i hear the CS ones are able to fool most charvel collectors in a blindfold test?

Comment

Ed, just buy one of the left over Legacy series from TMZ and have it refinished.

You will save over $1000.
            -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
              Ed, just buy one of the left over Legacy series from TMZ and have it refinished.

You will save over $1000.
              not a bad idea!

Comment

Working...
              X