Proper way to enlarge tailpiece bushings on an LP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proper way to enlarge tailpiece bushings on an LP

OK, a friend of mine has an LP with a slanted wrap around bridge. For some reason, he is changing the chrome hardware to gold, so he bought a gold wraparound tailpiece from Allparts. The bushings for the tailpiece are going to be replaced, because the posts that screw into the bushings will now be gold, and for some reason, they won't screw in directly to the old bushings (US vs metric, I am guessing). He got the old bushings out with a bushing puller, but the new ones are just a bit bigger than the old ones. Not 'just bigger' which could be hammered in- any hammering here would hurt the top of the guitar.

What is the proper way to enlarge the bushing holes? I dunno, I'd be scared to do it myself unless there is a specialized tool to do this.
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Re: Proper way to enlarge tailpiece bushings on an LP

Most likely a drill press with a bit that's the exact diameter of the bushing. And also, use masking tape to keep the finish from chipping around the hole.

Ya gotta love it when guys do illogical things with their guitars, like embarking on changing all the hardware to aftermarket stuff that isn't direct replacement.
    Originally posted by Boogie Bill
    I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

i'd have a pro do it, that's some scary stuff right there!

I know that's not very helpful, but i don't have anything other than that, sorry bro!

www.guardiancustoms.com

Comment

thats kind of a pro level procedure there mac.

id have a pro look at it.

i myself would use a big drill bit, but then again im insane.

Comment

Let a tech do it. If you drill it too large, you're going to have to wedge some wood to make up for the extra space.

Comment

LOL. This thread on the front page said "Proper way to enlarge..." and I TOTALLY misread. I'm so immature.
            Originally posted by jmh151
            I'd hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the King of England
            Originally posted by jeremy
            like if we were walking down the sidewalk and you said "hey check her out" chances are i already saw her and mentally sodomized her
            Originally posted by grumptruck
            Media only reports on what the sheeple wanna see/hear/read.
            Sometimes not read.
            dats hard

Comment

Get Genuine Gibson Parts. an LP is not a beater to learn and experiment and make do on.

if the Gibson Part fits well...good.

if not, let a Pro do it.

one who´s work you have seen and trust.

Comment

Working...
              X