Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Anyone top-wrap your strings?

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
    +1. The more and deeper bends you do, the more you notice. A blues player will perceive more difference from top wrapping than a metal player.
    Right on. To reiterate what is said in the thread linked in post #26:

With the tailpiece cranked down and strings through the tailpiece compared to a guitar with a top wrap this will happen:

With the tighter break angle you will have to push harder to bend a string to a given pitch, but will cover less distance vertically on the fretboard.

With the top wrap, the string will push easier, but you will have to push it further vertically on the fretboard.

The difference can be confirmed not only by feel, but also with your eyes by making note of the exact spots where the same pitch is obtained with both setups.

Comment

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire View Post
      Top wrapping allows me to crank the stop bar all the way down w/o the strings resting on the body of the ABR-1...this gives me the tone and the feel I like so I do it...
      Yup I only do it on my LP Standard right now.

Same for a Nashville as the ABR. It also pretty much entirely stopped me from breaking strings.

Due to the reduced break angle of the strings over the bridge the feel is a little different but I change between guitars with and without and have no issues. I use 11's on all my Gibsons, 10's on PRS's and Fenders. My manhood is not threatened in anyway by top wrapping.
      Last edited by Wattage; 11-01-2010, 10:52 AM.
      My Bands -
      https://kamikazechoir.hearnow.com/
      www.instagram.com/kamikazechoir
      www.reverbnation.com/theheartlessdevils

Just some fun guitar stuff from time to time
      GUITAR KULTURE

Comment

Originally posted by Wattage View Post
        Same for a Nashville as the ABR. It also pretty much entirely stopped me from breaking strings.
        +1. I bend constantly, with a lot of deep Peter Green style bends with fast vibrato. I break one, maybe two strings a year (usually high E). I think top wrapping is a factor.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          Hey - some people specialize in setting up guitar for [little kitty cats].
          Only Top Cats Top Wrap

I rest my case

Comment

I never have that problem, but then I don't bang on my guitar like that. You have amps to give you volume, you don't need to hit electric guitars that hard. Where's the nuances & sublties?
            There's no 'nuanced' or 'subtle' involved when hitting a power chord .
            I was refering to the low E and A strings.
            The guys who don't notice a difference in tension are probably blues players that have a softer playing style. They benefit the most from the more sustain you are getting form topwrapping.
            Everyone's different, has different preferences and playing styles, thus there's no 'best' way to play or set-up a guitar.

Comment

I never have that problem, but then I don't bang on my guitar like that. You have amps to give you volume, you don't need to hit electric guitars that hard. Where's the nuances & sublties?
              There's a different feel to having a heavy right hand attack. I use it all the time, I don't care if i have a ton of volume, I still dig in because it just sounds better.

Just ask this guy...

Go to 1:30. That's not subtle at all.
              Last edited by Andrew Lamprecht; 11-02-2010, 07:25 AM.
              Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
              Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

I'm going to top wrap the strings on my ES-333 when I get home just to see what happens. ill write later.

Comment

Working...
                X