Using a Les Paul for lead?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Using a Les Paul for lead?

The body-heavy nature of my cheap Special II mimic Les Paul makes it easier to do bends and get to the higher frets. Does anybody else think Les Pauls are great lead guitars? I don't see a whole lot of lead guitarists using them, so I thought it was weird.
    Originally posted by jmh151
    I'd hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the King of England
    Originally posted by jeremy
    like if we were walking down the sidewalk and you said "hey check her out" chances are i already saw her and mentally sodomized her
    Originally posted by grumptruck
    Media only reports on what the sheeple wanna see/hear/read.
    Sometimes not read.
    dats hard

Re: Using a Les Paul for lead?

They can sound good, obviously.
    Whether or not one can jive with the lack of ergonomics is another.
    While I can dig the sound, I just can't get on with the feel of an LP at all, nor the lack of upper fret access. I like to be able to get up there and bend the 22nd fret without having to significantly change the position of the hand.
    I guess that's why I seem to only own superstrats, even though lately I haven't really been playing much heavy music at all haha.

Would love a neck thru or set neck thru LP, but not cheap obviously.

Comment

I like the look, nay, I love it, however I like radical shapes because the Explorer and the V both give a resting point for my elbow. I want a legitimate Les Paul by Epiphone or something, but ESP has all the metal features, minus the right pickups. Need some DUNCANS!!!!
      I'd hit that so hard that whoever could pull me out would be the King of England
      like if we were walking down the sidewalk and you said "hey check her out" chances are i already saw her and mentally sodomized her
      Sometimes not read.
      dats hard

Comment

you know, I don't think there have ever been lead guitarists who used Les Paul's. I heard Paul Kossoff used Jacksons in the studio. Page used a Tele in the studio and a Hamer live. Beck used a BC Rich for all his leads. Peter Green used Samicks....

ohhh, you mean you don't see a whole lot of sh!tty guitarists using them?

Blessed is he who expects little for he shall not be disappointed.
        You can educate ignorance but you can not educate stupidity.

Originally posted by stratocastered
        In a world where its necessary for a man to wax his chest, you'll find me parallel parking perfectly with a 12-pack and a full beard.
        http://www.reverbnation.com/c./a4/11...65/Artist/link

Comment

Originally posted by SamusChief View Post
          I like the look, nay, I love it, however I like radical shapes because the Explorer and the V both give a resting point for my elbow. I want a legitimate Les Paul by Epiphone or something, but ESP has all the metal features, minus the right pickups. Need some DUNCANS!!!!
          I'm not into the Explorer/V and various other 'different' shapes personally.
          Guess I'm kinda conservative

And regarding, ESP, on this page, I can spot two guitars with Duncans :

One of the world's leading manufacturers of high quality guitars and basses.

More Duncans :

And one more with Duncans :

While not to my taste finish wise, more Duncans :

So pretty safe to say they make the Les Paul shapes with Duncans

Comment

Ace Frehley and Slash were the first two that came to my mind. I know that Kirk Hammett occasionally uses one, but I don't consider him as on par with the other two, mostly because his soloing now is not as melodic as it was on say, the Black Album. My only problems with a Les Paul are:
            -No elbow rest like the Explorer
            -Hurts my back after a while
            Sometimes not read.
            dats hard

Comment

Originally posted by Petrovsk Mizinski View Post
              I'm not into the Explorer/V and various other 'different' shapes personally.
              Guess I'm kinda conservative

And regarding, ESP, on this page, I can spot two guitars with Duncans :

More Duncans :

And one more with Duncans :

While not to my taste finish wise, more Duncans :

So pretty safe to say they make the Les Paul shapes with Duncans
              My bad. I didn't know they made THAT many. I know they had the EC-1000 and a few others. I was more so referring to Blackouts. They have one guitar with Blackouts, and its a Gus G signature.
              Sometimes not read.
              dats hard

Comment

Haven't heard much Allman Brothers Band? Skynyrd, Molly Hatchet, stuff like that?
                - Tom

Originally posted by Frankly
                Some people make the wine. Some people drink the wine. And some people sniff the cork and wonder what might have been.
                The Eagle never lost so much time as when he submitted to learn of the Crow.

Comment

I'm a metalhead. My interests go from Alternative to early 90's metal and prog metal/rock. I'm bad at exploring other kinds of music and branching out.
                  Sometimes not read.
                  dats hard

Comment

Slash, Mike McCready of Pearl Jam, Randy Rhoads, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Les Paul all used an LP.

Comment

John Sykes and Doug Aldrich both use/used LP's for their lead stuff in Whitesnake

Mick Mars used a LP for leads on the Crue's early-mid stuff

Vivian used a LP for leads with Dio for a while
                      2015 Knaggs Steve Stevens SSC T2
                      Majik Box Doug Aldrich "Rocket Fuel"
                      Majik Box Filthy Lucre

Comment

Ok, guys, I get it. I'm undereducated when it comes to music. Now I feel like the worlds biggest idiot...
                        Sometimes not read.
                        dats hard

Comment

I find the upper fret access to be a little bit of an issue with Les Pauls . . . my fingers clunk around and it just feels cramped when playing way up high. Probably the coolest looking lead guitar though. I'd love to get the chance to try one of those Axcess LPs to see if they're more comfy . . .
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

ESP Eclipses are GREAT. They made the cutaway sharper so you can access the last few frets easier.
                            Sometimes not read.
                            dats hard

Comment

Originally posted by SamusChief View Post

I've owned a LOT of guitars in the past 26 years -- including real PRS Custom 24s and Gibson LPs. But for the past several years, my favorite axes have been my ESP Ltd EC-400ATs, 400VF, and 401VF. They all came standard with the Duncan JB/50 combo (my favorite) and Grover tuners. I added GraphTech saddles and switchcraft toggles to all. LOVE these guitars!

Oh... and I've been playing lead since I started. I used to be into the whole shred scene back in the 80s -- Yngwie was my guitar god. I was all about Strats for most of the past 20 years, because I do like the way a strat fits my body and feels. But for rock, the LP body and pickups just rule all IMO.

"Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Working...
                              X