Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaning unfinished maple necks?

.. before treating it?

My MM needs a good cleaning before I can treat it with oil and then wax. I also want to polish the frets and therefore need to mask the fingerboard with masking tape.

What's a good and easy way to clean a dirty maple neck, take off masking tape residues and get it ready and nice before oil + wax treatment?

Re: Cleaning unfinished maple necks?

Is the neck really unfinished? If it's not finished I'd treat it more like rosewood than your typical maple neck and go at it with some naptha before oiling/waxing it.

If it is finished, just scrape off the gunk with a credit card, then go over it a couple times with a toothbrush and some non-corrosive cleaner (I've used a small amount Mr. Clean and water as well as Windex), then wipe completely clean with a rag.
    Last edited by GuitarStv; 11-02-2010, 12:23 PM.
    Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
    This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
      .. before treating it?

My MM needs a good cleaning before I can treat it with oil and then wax. I also want to polish the frets and therefore need to mask the fingerboard with masking tape.

What's a good and easy way to clean a dirty maple neck, take off masking tape residues and get it ready and nice before oil + wax treatment?
      While there are a million or so products to suck money out of your wallet, the old fashioned stuff still works the best and is the most recommended - vinegar and water, wipe dry. Same thing you do for a lot of wood items. Nothing fancy needed, maybe a light brush of sorts if it is really dirty.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
        Is the neck unfinished? If it's not finished I'd treat it more like rosewood than your typical maple neck and go at it with some naptha before oiling/waxing it.

If it is finished, just scrape off the gunk with a credit card, then go over it a couple times with a toothbrush and some non-corrosive cleaner (I've used a small amount Mr. Clean and water as well as Windex), then wipe completely clean with a rag.
        Ammonia and water is another common cleaning solution for wood, so I can see how the Windex would work well also.
        Of course, I lack the requisite intellectual capacity to engage in a theoretical discourse regarding the sociological and ethical implications of the absurd and incongruous concept of personal ownership of firearms and the ridiculous supposition that humans are capable of responsibly using said weapons.

Comment

Dark areas -> Chlorox stick.

Comment

Mhm thanks guys... it sucks living in such a small city where everything's closed when I leave work
            I honestly would have no clue where to get any of the stuff mentioned here..!

Pics:

Comment

Finger and hand scum makes necks sound better. Fact.

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
                Mhm thanks guys... it sucks living in such a small city where everything's closed when I leave work
                I honestly would have no clue where to get any of the stuff mentioned here..!
                A grocery store will have Windex and/or vinegar, even a gas station with a mini-mart might have those.

BTW, that is a beautful neck!

Comment

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_he76aLykU

For the fretboard, I would do the same thing, but skip the sandpaper step (obviously...don't sand your frets).
                  Last edited by SabbathFan0220; 11-02-2010, 08:28 PM.
                  "Everything must be black, like the storm of justice!"

Comment

Originally posted by SabbathFan0220 View Post
                    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q_he76aLykU

For the fretboard, I would do the same thing, but skip the sandpaper step (obviously...don't sand your frets).
                    You could sand the frets with a certain grit to clean them a bit, but that isnt whats addressed. i dont mean to insult you Pierre, but are you sure its unfinished?

Comment

Oil and wax only on those....for finish.
                      As for frets, use fine steelwool, after you have masked it, can also clean the fingerboard and neck with that, apply oil and wax after, and make sure it looks nice...
                      Or get some normal guitar cleaner stuff, Dunlop65 or alike.

Comment

Originally posted by astrozombie View Post
                        You could sand the frets with a certain grit to clean them a bit, but that isnt whats addressed. i dont mean to insult you Pierre, but are you sure its unfinished?
                        Dude it's a Musicman It is unfinished. And nice avatar 'Hey Bender!' 'Oh hey Fender!'

I have a big box of 0000 steel wool that I use on all my guitars. This one will be no exception; tape off the fingerboard and go to town. I usually polish them until I can shave according to my reflection...

I think I do have some Dunlop65 around... I'll try this. The neck isn't very dirty in fact, it's more that the old treatment has sunk in I think.

Thanks guys!

Comment

Alittle oil will help
                          I only used wax once a year on most of my old unfinished guitarnecks....
                          Around this time of year, as the air gets dry in the autum and winter seasons here.

Comment

I ordered this yesterday for the treating part...:

And yeah same Niels, it's when I usually do my adjustements to the necks if any, this way I know it'll stay stable until March or so.

Comment

Looks like a nice little kit

Comment

Working...
                              X