Where do you keep your picks?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Where do you keep your picks?

Mic stand. I always have about 5 of them put up there. It's funny, because if I do that, I won't drop a pick all night. If I don't do that, I'm either scrounging for a pick, or Carolyn has to go look for one on a dark floor..
    www.enigmaduo.com

Comment

when playing out, in my pocket. Otherwise in the brown and green cup on top of the Vox

Comment

At home, I keep them into a can of Altoids.

Comment

Originally posted by symptom View Post
          At home, I keep them into a can of Altoids.
          You know, I've seen dozens of pics of peoples boards with cans of Altoids and never considered this........thank you!!!

Just thought it was for all the womenz that hit on guitar players!

Comment

My bad stevie!
            Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
            Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

coin pocket in my jeans. 4 or 5 at a time. 1 always rides in the wallet behind my drivers license as an emergency spare. otherwise they're in a small Jimi Hendrix tin.
              Beer me!
              Originally posted by Kam
              ...This machine runs on pr0n.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew Lamprecht View Post
                My bad stevie!
                Way to go Andrew.
                My Sound Clips

Comment

Originally posted by crguti View Post
                  everywhere.
                  Same here. I have them in just about every room of my house, in pockets, with guitars, and in my truck.

I just ordered a 72 pack of Dunlop Tortex picks last week for $13.50. I figured that was a pretty good deal. I just received them yesterday. So I'll probably lose about 65 picks in a couple of months time now.
                  Last edited by JOLLY; 11-09-2010, 04:02 PM.

Comment

There are picks in my pockets, keychain, on the desk(s)... kitchen table, coffee table... by the TV... in probably every guitar case... by the amps, in the tool box with the extra strings & truss rod wrenches... once in a while the washing machine coughs out a couple three.

Basically everywhere.

While playing I keep extras either gaff taped to a mic stand or on top of the amp. Once I had a handful on top of the tiny terror and after a couple hours of very loud playing I realized a couple fell INTO the amp through the vents!!!

That's about the only place I don't have picks anymore...
                    J. 'Moose' Kahrs
                    mixer|producer|recordist
                    mooseaudio.bandcamp.com

Originally posted by the guy who invented fire
                    All you need to make a record is a mic, some tape and maybe some bad reverb...

Comment

I keep one tucked under the bass strings on the first fret of every guitar I have, a spare for quick grabbing on top of my amp, one tucked under the pickguard of my Tele (between the bridge and control plate, I removed the screw there to do it), one in between the bridge pickup and the bass side of the bridge of my Jazzmaster, one in my wallet, and all the rest are kept in a ziplock in my spare parts cabinet in the jam space.
                      Originally posted by Bass_Medic_05
                      I dig the wood!

Comment

i have these plastic strips that were meant to hold advertising posters at the top and bottom... i tape these strips to stands or my amp and slip picks in them... they work well except if i pull one pick out too roughly a few sometimes fall out...

i sometimes tape picks right to the face of my guitar

Comment

I keep them in these...
                          http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-E...87-i1133342.gc,
                          on my guitars and on my amps. These work great!

And I keep some on this...
                          http://www.guitarcenter.com/Dunlop-M...86-i1134900.gc.
                          Originally Posted by IanBallard
                          Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

Wallet and on my computer stand next to my guitars and amps. I have a ****load, that I don't use, in the mouth of my skull mirror thing too.

Comment

Originally posted by crguti View Post
                              everywhere.
                              and when I use them hopefully in my hand...lol!
                              BASSES: Fender Geddy Lee Jazz Bass/Ric 4003 Bass (Blue)
                              Fender 51 P Bass RI/Traveler Bass
                              Schecter 5 String (Sunburst)/Gibson SG EBO RI
                              Epiphone Rivoli (VC Sunburst)
                              Warwick Thumb BO/Kramer DMZ 4000/
                              Fender Jazz 72 RI (Sunburst)/Ernie Ball Earthwood ABG
                              Fender P Bass (White)/DiPinto Belvedere Deluxe (Black)
                              Gibson 09 Thunderbird (Sunburst)
                              Fender Jazz Bass 5 string (Sunburst)/Fender HMT bass (Red)
                              Gibson EBO

Comment

I do sweat and will drop picks. I find that the Dunlop Gators work very well for me. I use them in the 1.14 mm gauge. But I also use 1.14 mm Tortex and Ultex picks. I fingerpick my acoustic guitar with a Golden Gate or Dunlop large thumbpick and Dunlop fingerpicks in either .020 or .0225 gauge in either brass or nickel-silver.

I always have a few flat-picks in my pocket. At home I have a little rosewood box of assorted picks--various sizes, gauges, manufacturers, materials--on the coffee table.

I keep extras in several of the accessories bags I take to gigs. I also will have extra slides, fingerpicks, capos, strings and batteries.

I keep a set of picks, capo, fingerpicks, stringwinder, sidecutters, strings and strap in each of my acoustic guitars' case, so I can pick it up and go.

When performing on stage, I use a "Pick-Clip". I think I've used these for about 30 years. They clip on the mic stand. They used to be made of hard plastic; I think Duncan makes them now, of hard rubber. Very handy, highly recommended.

At a festival or open mic, where I'm not using my own gear, I'll use a piece of stage tape on the mic stand and attach a couple where I can get them quickly. I'll keep my other accessories close at hand--pocket or on top of the amp, or a handy stool.

And if I'm at a jam, I'll often stick one under the treble side of the pickguard of my strat-body G&Ls. You need to adjust the tension of the pickguard screws so it will hold the pick, but not damage the finish or the guard when the pick is inserted. Having it on the treble side is easier to get at than inserting the pick under the guard on the bass side; and there's less chance of damage to the finish.

At a gig, I want a spare to be handy--I don't want to have to dig in my pocket while I'm playing. I think the Pick-Clip is a super product, and it's inexpensive.

Bill
                                When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
                                X